9.15.2006

Sentiment.





I don't cry often.

When I do, tears usually spring from sources of internal unrest rather than from tangibles like spilt milk. Yesterday, though, while holding this coarse, wiry hair, my throat tightened, and, today, a faithful friend of our family for over twenty years leaves his pasture for the last time.

All seven Johnson kids have fond memories of Apache. He taught each of us to ride, from Andy down to Debbie, occasionally bucking us earthward to prove his spirit, humble our pride, and then once again for good measure. When barrel-racing, he'd curl so close and low to the rusty barrels that they'd scrape skin off my legs, and I'll never forget the sound of Mopsy's distant voice yelling, "Home, boy, home!" as we turned the last bend to race toward the gate.

He was half-Paint, half-Appaloosa, a Mutt for all seasons. My family isn't high bred, so we had no care that he wasn't, either, and enjoyed his good company for what it was-- good company. He was the leader of our horses; when buds formed above and the ground softened beneath, spring fever overcame him, and he'd prance about challenging any young bucks to prove their mettle. They tried, but with little success, as he'd nip them into submission every spring.

We were country kids without neighbors and without television, and he was a ticket to adventure. His tender mouth meant that we could ride him bridle-less, using only a halter with a leadrope wound around to direct his steps, but his fierce stubbornness usually made it more trouble than it was worth. More often than not, I rode him bareback, rarely using a saddle in summer, not wanting to waste time with the bothers of cinch and stirrup to jump on for wild gallops through hayfields or measured paces under hushed, wooded canopies. His gait was smoother than that of any horse I've ever ridden. When he galloped, we were an arrow just released.

In summertime, we rode around the block, a roundtrip of several hours given the fact that our "block" was comprised of connected roads that eventually led homeward. In the glory years, when Apache was "my" horse (as he was each of ours at one point or another), Becky and I would ride him and Beau on lengthy trail rides. When we took Cherry Valley Hill Road past the graveyard, the entire time I looked forward to the return. As one horse and one rider on either side of the road, we'd make them slow at the bottom of a huge hill, barely holding their excitement in check. As soon as we released the reins, they'd bolt for home, necks outstretched, pounding thuds on soft dirt, the wind of their speed stinging my eyes, my mouth unwilling and unable to restrain laughter from pealing soundlessly in the rushing wind.

Apache is 30 years old, but he's in his nineties when measured by equine years; a swayed back, grey muzzle, and deep-hollowed eyes proclaim his age. The last two years ground him down in body and spirit; during the harsh months, especially, his skin seemed to just barely hold in the bones, no matter how much extra grain he ate.

Goodbye, old friend. If all that's good and golden about earth is purified in Heaven, then I'll meet you by the crick, and, with a knowing spark in your eyes, you'll paw the grass and whicker.

12 comments :

Liana said...

Aww, Abby - I'm at work, and now you're making me cry!
My thoughts go to you & your family - I know it's not easy loosing a pet, a friend, a companion...

Margaret said...

Abby ~ lovely sentiments of a full life lived. Your loss is near & dear to my heart.

Kelly said...

Oh Abby I definitley teared up while reading that!

I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye to your old friend! But I am glad you have so many happy memories with him!

Anonymous said...

i'm sure this is hard for you! It was great to read your beautiful words...It's great to help you express your memories - I know you'll miss him!

Griffen said...

This made me not only wish I'd had a horse, but that I'd had YOUR horse. What beautiful words of whipping wind and treasured romps. I loved your sentiments on heaven... and I like to believe that is true.

Abigail said...

Thanks for the sympathy.

I know this was sentimental and sappy, and that Ben Gallman, if he ever read it, would shudder and mutter a few baffled insults about "horse girls," but it's a true post.

Patch is a good guy, and we'll all miss him.

Liana-- serves you right for checking blogs at work! :) And, Sandy, though I can't know for certain until I'm there, I do believe it.

Rebecca said...

Abby~when I read the first sentence, attached with the phot-I thought Millie had FINALLY practiced being a beautician to her hairs doom.

I am sorry for Apache-what a touching post. By the end I had tears in my eyes. I couldn't believe I was tearing up over a horse that wasn't even MINE!

I have always wondered what I might tell my children when animals died. I have always believed as you do, but I wasn't sure if I was being too sentimental and putting too much personification to animals. Sometimes Matt thinks me a bit silly when it comes to animals.

What a wonderfully treasured memory Apache will be to your whole family, a strand to weave one another's memories into one solid cord of remembrance interwoven in the minds and hearts of all.

Rebecca said...

BTW~the first picture never came up for me-so THAT is why I didn't realize about the horse....

Abigail said...

Thank goodness the girls haven't yet had the inevitable introduction of scissors to hair.

Some Scripture at least allows for those musing hopes about loved animals meeting us. When you and your family move back to the area, we can have some lively campfire talks about it with Matt. :)

Wendy said...

Abby~What a sad posting! My sister has horses and had to put one down...it was so sad. I myself have never been that gung ho about them, perhaps an incident with sharp cornstalk leaves and barbed wire has something to do with it..(shudder)..so sorry to hear about your pet.

Abigail said...

Thanks, Wendy. I've never been gung-ho about barbed wire, to which many scars on my legs attest. :)

Michelle said...

Oh, Abby! What a sad loss for you and your family. I am glad you can be comforted by the thought of seeing your family pet in Heaven. :)