1.16.2007


Remember this monster doodle from last year? I finally made them. Working with no pattern when one has never made a stuffed animal before, one is a mediocre seamstress, and one has a deadly combination of procrastination and impatience could have been disastrous, but I think they're cute, lumpy legs and all. Any mistakes were incorporated with great purpose to increase their abnormal monster appeal. (One arm longer? They're monsters! Cellulite-plagued legs? They're monsters! Uneven eyebrows? THEY'RE MONSTERS!) Thank goodness I wasn't making Victorian dolls. They wouldn't be nearly as forgiving.

Millie saw me sewing the arms and thought I was making them palm trees. I played along, but I shouldn't have and will be more careful in the future to speak truth to my children.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it feel good to finally finish a project? The few times I've managed that, I've really enjoyed it. They did come out really nice; I think you did a fantastic job at finding fabrics.

Abigail said...

I was only a year late....

I picked the most snuggly monster fabric I could find. It actually feels sleek and silky and is perfect for rubbing against cheeks and such (and it was on sale for 7 dollars a yard, plus a fifty percent off coupon, which made it even more desirable). The striped fabric was a dollar a yard but was so thin (intended for skinny girls to make skinny tees) that I had to double the thickness. I had about a half-inch strip of each left by the time I finished and was so relieved that I had enough. It kind of reminded me of you and Millie's party dress.

Me, coming back to the store: Uh, do you have any of that stretchy, striped clearance fabric leftover from last year?

Phew.