6.15.2007

Pomp and Circumstance


This past Saturday, my baby sister graduated from high school! We are so proud of her. (Forgive me as I brag for a moment.) She graduated as valedictorian of her class and has accepted the Presidential Scholarship at Houghton, where she'll be part of the London Honors program in the spring semester. More importantly, she's good and kind, and most importantly, she seeks to please God and live rightly. We pray that He will make her path straight and uphold her as she follows Him.


Debbie's a good mix of Becky and I. All three of us girls graduated as valedictorian-- Becky and Debbie shining in front of their classmates and me barely squeaking by the salutatorian. Becky was an incredibly dedicated student in college, so much so that she only went to a few on-campus movies and only visited Letchworth State Park (which was 15 minutes away) for the first time after she graduated. Becky graduated with a nearly 4.0 average as a math major and rightfully earned the respect of her professors and the admiration of her friends. I, on the other hand, spent more energy avoiding classwork with adventures of all sorts than I did hitting the books (though, to my great benefit, a few classes and superb professors broke through my procrastination). Debbie strikes a good balance between Becky's discipline and my love of madcap distraction, and I trust she'll wring all the good out of college that she can in the scholastic arena, as well as indulging in a good "roller skate into the swimming pool" moment every now and again. I'm excited for her!


(Photo by Brother Luke.)



Unfortunately, Popsy's not in this photo. Anyone who knows my dad won't be surprised to know that I couldn't find him in time; he was milling about somewhere in the crowd, chatting it up with friends and strangers, but I didn't see his head sticking up anywhere.


3 comments :

Full of Grace said...

Congratulations to your dear baby sister! I remember when my baby sister graduated, my how time flies!!!

Rebecca said...

Happy day to Debbie!

Wow-THREE valedictorians in one family. Again-what it is with you people hoarding all the good genes?!?!

Love the photos of her happy day. Where is she headed now?

Abigail said...

We're not hoarding a thing; there were seven kids in our family, so that's less than a fifty percent success rate! The boys were all slackers in high school and didn't buckle down until college.

She's going to Houghton College in the fall, the same college from which Becky, John, and I graduated.