7.29.2013

Frugal Fancy-Pants: July's Last Hurrah

Here's your mid-summer installment of good ol' F.F.P. (Don't you dare tell me it's late summer. It's not!)

If you've never seen this strange bird's feathers before, here's the seed of frivolity.

Also, when Millie took the Exhibit B pictures today, Susannah asked me why I always put my hand "like this" when I'm doing Frugal Fancy-pants pictures.  I told her it's what silly, vain people do because that's the best answer I had.  It's pretty ridiculous, huh.  Why DO I stick my hands on my hips like that?  Does anyone know?  A lollipop for the best answer...

________________________________________________________________


Exhibit A:

Wear this outfit whenever the need to channel your inner secretary strikes.  In my case, it happened on a Sunday morning, ten minutes before we left the house for church.

Cherry red pumps: cost-- $3.99 on sale at Target, but I used a gift card, so I don't know if it counts as free or not
Gray Calvin Klein dress: cost-- about 5 cents at a rummage bag sale
Red silk scarf: cost-- hand-me-down from Titi's Grandma (I love it!)
Snooty expression: cost-- the good opinion of anyone who sees me wearing it (For the record, I didn't mean to be snooty; the sun was brightly shining, and I was trying my hardest not to squint.)

Total cost of outfit: 5 cents if you count the gift card; about $4.25 if you don't.





Optional accessories:

Black and white bead safety pin bracelet: free; used to belong to Grandma Millie Heck.
Road sign: free; passed along by Dude
Assorted scrapes and bruises: free because I'm sometimes clumsy
A left arm, in case your right one gets tired: free 






Exhibit B:



This outfit doesn't look worthy of its Exhibit B status.  It almost looks acceptable, which defeats the purpose, so I'll let you in on a secret.  Those shorts are on their fourth day here, so that counts for something.  Plus, my hairs are a'frizz, like normal, so that counts, too.






Blue sandals: gift
Tan shorts: hand-me-downs
Funny black string-thingy: I found it in my bedroom and used it to hold my shorts up
Green tee: hand-me-down

Total cost of outfit: Free (as a bird)

Optional accessories:
A dumptruck-load of wet laundry to hang:  Free, free, FREE, and more where that came from
Cuts, bruises, etc: free



Side by side comparison:


   



THE END.  Aren't you glad?

11 comments :

Molly said...

You could wear a burlap bag and look fantastic in it!

Much love!

Molly said...

What I meant is that you look great in everything!

Much love!

heidiann(e) said...

nope, not glad.

More, I say, more!

but I AM glad you posted these - I don't mean to be ungrateful.

Abigail said...

Molly,
You are too generous, by far. And a burlap bag? Hmm. There's an idea... :)

Heidi,
Anyone who hates F.F.P. can blame you for any future segments!

Titi said...

(p.s. you put your hand on your hip because then it causes more movement for your eye when viewing the picture. An entirely vertical person with hands at sides causes the viewing eye to go either straight up or straight down--and right out of the image and moving on to something more interesting. Putting a hand on the hip causes a triangular sort of loop in which your eye gets caught, and the image is viewed with interest for longer.

I don't think Su will find that answer helpful, but I think that's what's compositionally happening. No picture, painting, etc, looks right if the lines are directing the eye out of the picture; the lines have to be drawing you back in.)

Griffen said...

We call it the "facebook pose" and do it tongue in cheek, because it's hillarious (and silly. And vain, yeah.)

(I like both looks equally. For the record.)

Abigail said...

Titi,
EXACTLY what I was thinking when I did it. :)

Sandy,
I am a facebook snob, but I guess facebook has its insidious claws in everyone, even facebook snobs.

Also, your liking both outfits equally doesn't really speak well of the fancy-pants outfit, now, does it? I'll have to step it up a notch next time. Pearls? A tiara?

Rebecca said...

I am pretty sure she meant 'poses' when she said 'look' but hey- tiaras would be fun!

I love that SLOW sign! Have I told you that before? If I have, well, it bears repeating.

Abigail said...

But both exhibits have identical poses! ...which might be why Sandy likes them equally? Maybe you're right. I'm just really eager to wear a tiara, I guess!

I'll tell Dude to keep his eyes peeled for another, 'cause I love giving you doubles. :)

Abigail said...

I refer to myself thusly:
Exhibit A

and

Exhibit B

(That last comment made it sound like I was a fair exhibit. Weird.)

Rebecca said...

oh yeah- they DO have the same pose! I thought the one was straight on for some reason.

Well then. I'll be expecting a tiara next go'round!