10.09.2013

It's Only Right...

that after I show you these tidy, smug snapshots I took during canning season,



 







 



 







 




 


I also show you the reality outside the frame.  While the air was indeed filled with heavenly scents from pickled beets and spiced elderberry syrup and simmering tomatoes, there were other realities as well.

Beet greens overflowing the play kitchen.

 


A table that was never empty enough for us to use for meals. 





 


And the best part?  The ariel view, by far.  Sheesh.  It's a beautiful life.


 


 


By the end, my brain was so fried, I even had trouble remembering the current decade.


7 comments :

Leah T. said...

These pictures of your canning endeavors are beautiful. We only planted tomatoes this year. :( One of these days we'll have a real garden again. Our efforts since moving up here have not met with much success.

Anyway, I'd love your recipe for pickled beets! (Is that what the cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger were for?) :)

Molly said...

I don't know how you do it but I am totally amazed, and enraptured, by it all. Good job!

Much love!

Abigail said...

Leah,
You've had so much on your plates the last 4 years that it's no wonder that you haven't built the Gigantic Garden yet. It will come, Lord willing! I'll try to remember to put the recipe on buildabelly. I used the ginger, etc., for the spiced elderberry syrup, but the pickled beets called for much of the same. Yum!

Molly,
Easy answer. There's perpetually something falling by the wayside. Always. :)

Rebecca said...

Would you believe I haven't even done my beets yet? I am going to hope that they are still delicious-but I still have carrots, turnips, parsnips and beets in the garden and I don't feel like canning anymore! (not a good place to be.)

Maybe the coming colder spells will help convince me to warm up the kitchen. Otherwise, I just want to be lazy.

Rebecca said...

PS. As long as you are taking buildabelly requests, might you possibly post your spiced elderberry syrup recipe. I am getting better just by looking at those ingredients (and I am not even sick!)

Abigail said...

Rebecca,
We've still got some beets (and onions and rutabaga) in the ground, too, as well as the last of the peppers and eggplant I've been ignoring. As much as I already miss fresh garden goods, I've been too lazy to want to even think about it.

I'll try to get it on there sometime.

Titi said...

(p.s. I just thought you should know I've seen much bigger messes.

MUCH bigger.)