4.10.2021

First-time Saint Lucia




This year it was Pip's turn to play Saint Lucia, and we just narrowly remembered in time! St. Lucia Day was on a Sunday, and we arrived home late Saturday night from a long day. After I tucked people into bed, Susannah gave me a whispered reminder, and I had to go and get Pip out of bed to cut pine branches, make rolls, and prepare for an early morning. 




Bright and early the next morning, Pip beat the dawn and carried the lussekatter upstairs. 





I followed in her heels with hot coffee and sugar. 





It took Aidan 0.2 seconds to go from a sound sleep on the bottom bunk to jumping out of bed shouting for everyone else to wake up.







Annika was still sound asleep.





So was Mildred.




As tired as Piper and I were that day, we both thought it was worth it. One of my favorite times each year is found here-- sitting in the dark with the children, eating rolls and drinking coffee while dawn breaks.

























 

2 comments :

Rebecca said...

I love this tradition of yours. I also love that it is not a tradition of mine- seeing flaming candles on heads gives me the heebiejeebies. Good thing I wasn't around at Pentacost!

Piper is a lovely Lucia!

Abigail said...

This tradition is not mine.
I have stolen it because I love magical flaming candles right next to long hair! Also, cinnamon buns. Also, coffee.