Independence Day with McGamma (July 4th, 2024)
When I was a child, Fourth of July brought hot dogs roasted on sticks over a fire, once-a-year sparklers, and squinting to see whatever country fireworks glinted off in the hills, while lightning bugs filled the tall grasses of the hayfields. It felt magical then, and still does, so I can only imagine the wonderful memories our children will have of their childhood celebrations. Fourth of July for our children has been both those same fireworks shows off in the hills and Mason jars with lightning bugs, but combined with a massive barbecue, sparklers, s'mores, *and* a backyard fireworks show put on by Dude, thanks to Grandma Owen. (I know, because this year our barbecue did not even include marshmallows, let alone s'mores. I'd better get on it!)
We didn't know it at the time, but this was our last July 4th with Grandma Owen. It's telling that the first picture I took that day was of her holding Mallory in her lap, and the last picture I took that night was of her holding Ransom in her lap. If she didn't have at least one grandchild smushed up against her, it was only because they were all running around together.
Grandma Owen bought this plane for us because it had so many seats (plus, it was undoubtedly a good deal). I'm so happy she got to see the grandchildren climbing all over it.
See? S'mores.
Told you.
Grandma Owen is also the only reason my children have experienced both different-colored and flavored marshmallows. She's the only reason I even know flavored marshmallows exist! I guess I'm old-school.
Here's the photographic proof that Zeke dismantled my hopeful outdoor sap burner to make a deluxe pyrotechnics pad for Grandpa, sigh.
This is a terrible quality picture because it was too dark, but I'm keeping it because it captures the speed at which Dude runs away once he lights the fireworks. 😂
Good thing, too.
We miss you, Grandma. <3































No comments :
Post a Comment