12.19.2008

Mete and Measure

Taken the first week of Advent.

During this time of Advent, of soon coming, remember what it was to be Israel groaning for a Redeemer King, open your eyes in the dark so that you can celebrate Light, and long for your Ransom to arrive. Ready yourself for Him and, in this, remember most His purpose in coming. In whole and seamless love, not in judgment, He came. Knowing our darkness, our careless forgetting, and our willful ways-- aware of the cost, the piercing agony of Gethsemane and Golgotha-- He came because of love.

A wrinkled Baby drew in earth's air and broke the night with a squawl. In that instant, He also began to break our bonds. Godhood bound in newborn form, wrapped in rough cloth, new skin, and for the first time, utter fragility. The scrunched eyes of Light Itself squinting in a fire's gleam. Shepherds came, too, still shaky and awed. Some silent with the blaze of heaven in their eyes and its promise fiery in their hearts; some with words tumbling over in shock and wonder. Did they turn toward that Baby, awkward hands dirty and callous-rough, and long to scoop him in their arms like Simeon did? Did they wonder at the humble sight of their mighty King? Fresh from a glory-swollen sky, perhaps they knew best that the coarseness of His birth held something that would split the seams of palaces.

For a moment the baffling grandeur of it all rushes through, and then it's gone. Today, that flash came, and I was equally struck by the impossibility of this love for us and by its reality.
Take heart! He comes!

8 comments :

Art Teacher said...

Thank you friend, I do not know. You give perspective, that I so easily take for granted.
Be Merry,
Carly

sharon said...

I love your writing and you witness but most of all I love you!

Anonymous said...

I was so delighted to see that you had updated your post. Your photos and writings calm me down and make me smile. I enjoy seeing the daily progress of your children...your home...your life. Thank you for sharing.

May your Christmas be filled with abundant joy and May God continue to bless you and your family throughout the New Year. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

See, Abby? See? You always seem to get it into your head that your blog must be frivolous since it is focused on a certain perspective rather than wide angle, and I keep trying to tell you that that angle is a necessary and helpful one. People like Molly and Art Teacher are telling you what I've been trying to say for years!!

end lecture.

;-)

But I do think that blogging is enough of a time eater that it's very helpful to be reminded of the impact that it can have. And I join with you in the joy that those "flashes" are sent, fleeting, but oh-so-clear.

Peter said...

"broke the night with a squawl" -- that's my favorite part.

so glad you're back for Advent

I love this.

Peter said...

give credit where credit is due.

that was Sarah who wrote the above post; just so you know ...

Rebecca said...

beautifully written.

For our first celebration of Advent, I wonder why it has taken us so long to celebrate such a monumental occasion and I am shocked at how easily I was convinced NOT to celebrate it. Foolish me...what I have missed all these years...

Abigail said...

Carly,
Welcome! It's good to find out about invisible links that have been formed, and I'm glad you stepped out to say hullo!

Sharon,
Right back at you.

Molly,
Merry Christmas!


Titi,
"I told you so's" are not allowed on shotsnaps. Tell me so in person next Wednesday instead...

Peter,
Quit masquerading as your wife. I see right through you.

Rebecca,
It is wonderful! I find that my celebration of Christ's birth is much richer than it was in the past due to now observing the fullness of Advent and Christmas, even in a more loose way than I'd like.