3.29.2013

Another Frugal Fancy-Pants, But Only Because You Love Them

Why, yes, I am making up for lost time by giving another installment of Frugal Fancy-pants.  (Note-- I did not write that I was redeeming the time, which would be a far better choice.)

Let's go!



Wear this outfit (c'mon now, you know this already) TO CHURCH, or, if you actually go places other than church, please feel free to wear it elsewhere, with my regards.

-Patent leather ballet flats (hidden here, sorry): rummage bag sale. Cost: about 10 cents
-Wacky polyester skirt from the 60's: rummage bag sale. Cost: about 10 cents
-Polyester dress: purchased from my chum Elizabeth's yard sale before she and Fred married each other.  Cost: I can't remember, but I bet it was under a dollar because, as I mentioned, she's my chum.
-Braided belt: rummage bag sale. Cost: under 5 cents



Optional accessories: 
- Dangly, vintage earrings: rummage bag sale. Cost: about a penny
-The famous 2-minute hairdo that I used for my entire junior year of high school: Cost-- 2 minutes of your time and a few bobby pins
-Awkward hair-arranging pose: my own invention.  Cost: free and plentiful, because I'm awkward

Total cost of outfit: about $1.25


Exhibit B:



Because the unheated upstairs routinely gets below freezing and the downstairs is set to 55 degrees, wear this outfit every day of your blessed life during winter months. (If you wish, you may replace it with bear skins when bathrobe-washing is unavoidable.)

Hat: leftover from college days; purchased from a rummage sale. Cost: under 5 cents
Tank top: hand-me-down
Long-sleeved t-shirt: rummage sale. Cost: about 5 cents
Wool sweater: rummage sale. Cost: about 10 cents
Green sweater: rummage sale. Cost: about 10 cents
Bathrobe: a Christmas gift from my mom-in-law who may have been horrified by the state of my old green one.
Land's End jeans: rummage sale. Cost: about 10 cents
Socks: hand-me-down
Gloves: stolen from my Husby; Cost and origin unknown.
Slippers: Christmas gift, again from my thoughtful mom-in-law

Optional accessories: a red nose, because the upstairs air is nippy

Total cost of outfit: about 40 cents

Side by side:


6 comments :

Titi said...

I think I should hire you to be in charge of my closet! I never would have dreamed of pairing those things together, but the pairing took them from "Ugh, polyester" to "wow, exotic!".

Plus, anytime I want compliments, I wear one of the things you picked up for me from a rummage sale, and the compliments come pouring in. I kid you not. Apparently you have better taste than I do!

heidiann(e) said...

I do! I DO love Frugal Fancypants!

More, more, more!

Abigail said...

Titi,
I really need to stuff some into a bag THINKING of you, instead of just giving you a few leftovers. You just wait. You'll have to fend off humans of all sorts! ;)

Abigail said...

Ugh. Polly Esther.

Full of Grace said...

That outfit in blue becomes you! Really and Truly Lovely :)

Abigail said...

E,
That's 'cause polyester and I go way back. :)