2.02.2021

Name That Baby


We don't look at baby names until the baby arrives, so we spent most of Saturday thumbing through baby names books to see which would fit Sunbeam best. Alden was Dad's middle name, and I've put it on the name lists for all our babies. Since most of them were girls, this is the closest a baby has come to being an Alden, but in the end Arthur won out.

Those of you who contributed hilarious R.A. guesses on Discord brought me some joy when we got home.  Caleb Purdy-- you win the blue ribbon! Refurbished Apartment Owen? I can't remember most, but a ton made me laugh.

Before we decided on Ransom Arthur, we had some fine options of our own.
Here's the pool we chose from (Meathooks Smith just barely missed the cut):




These were the top-runners by the end:




 

I had a roaring headache, and to aid my decision making, John entered all the names into a computer wizard that helps one rank items-- in this case, baby names. It reflected my first name preferences, and then he paired first names with middle names and had me choose between pairs again.  Here are two favorites that popped up as choices, one for Piotr James and one for Sarah CP Tate.


I think you and Dad would dislike this random pairing equally, Pete, though it made me laugh. 

Alden "Pope Gary" Owen.




Sarah, I told John that you and Josh have given your children two middle names, one of which is your maiden name. Unbeknownst to me, he added "Paulson Paulson" as a potential middle name, and when the ranking a.i. gave me this choice, I laughed out loud and took a picture.


4 comments :

Rebecca said...

I would have been able to tell just looking from that list which name you were going to choose- the bottom gives it all away. Once you start playing with names the way that you do and forming funny little nicknames, you know it is a done deal. ;-)

Abigail said...

We usually do that for fun-- and also to know ahead of time what names people will use to tease our children.

Our friend B. Boyd E. has always called Annika "Anakin," and he now calls Skylark "Skywalker." If we had gone with Obadiah John instead of Ransom Arthur, I was fully prepared for him to call our son "Obi John" to complete the Star Wars theme. :)

heidiann(e) said...

This is a delightful peek into your process!

Abigail said...


We use the scientific method.