8.22.2026

A Last Hunt for Wild Leeks, or, Salamander City (May 2024)








I figured that a rainy day the week of Millie's wedding was an ideal time to take everyone to the Big Woods to pick wild leeks. (Not really, but when else could we have done it before she moved away?)

I hope this wasn't actually Millie's last time picking leeks in the Big Woods, but if it ends up being so, I'm even more glad we fit in in. These woods hold my childhood within them, and they hold my children's childhoods, too.  Family memories live in these fields and trees, which is probably why I felt compelled with both Mildred and Annika to take a last walk together right before they moved far away. 












































































































After getting thoroughly wet and muddy, we headed home weighed down with baskets of ramps and a sleeping baby.















...and there was just enough time to play hide and seek in the tall grass. (Hang loose, Piper!)







































No comments :