12.14.2019

Should I Be Blogging Right Now?



No, I should not.  I should be tackling all the dirty dishes in the universe that had a party in our kitchen yesterday.  There. Now that I've dispelled the awkward tension, "Onward, ho!" to blogging!

This Advent season has been less quiet than I'd like, but my heart is fed by nightly worship and family liturgy around the wreath, and tomorrow we light three candles instead of two.

We don't yet have a Jesse tree, and I've been slacking on Jesse tree readings each morning. This third week of Advent, I'll try to find all the loose strings and tie them in a clumsy knot. Each season is different. In this one, I find myself scattered all over, but our Father meets me there. He gathers the flighty, harried, and lazy bits of Abigail, and He will knit something together from the mess.

St. Nicholas did mysteriously arrive to fill shoes, right before bedtime. Surely, something important must have delayed him.











Not quite a week later, we celebrated St. Lucia Day. Pippi was going to take her turn as St. Lucia this year, but seeing how frighteningly grown the older girls are caused me to decide that Millie should have another turn, just in case she strikes out on her own before the honor circles round to her again.


She got six hours of sleep, sweet girl, but sallied forth, anyway.







Annika was slumbering too deeply for a first try to awaken her.






Millie moved onto the boys, who were more easily aroused.  Aidan was grumpy for 30 seconds until he woke up enough to see the lit candles. Then he immediately jumped out of bed and ran into the girls' room, excitedly shouting, "Wake up, allbody! Wake up, allbody!"














Hot coffee and St. Lucia buns for all.














Even Susannah got some, though she stayed hidden under her covers until I agreed to honor her camera-free wishes.
















When sunrise arrived, though, all bets were off. Hail, Susannah Wren!








2 comments :

Molly said...

I love your traditions! Your children will forever hold these memories in their hearts and one day, quite possibly, pass them along to their own families. I truly hope so!

Much love!

Abigail said...


I've already told the girls that there is no pressure to continue the crazier traditions. I want them to sleep as adults! At least if they choose to do so, they'll probably learn from my mistakes and be better organized, i.e. remember that St. Lucia Day is nearly upon them BEFORE 6:30 in the evening. ;)