11.10.2022

Fertile Ground

 

I was super grumpy this afternoon and evening-- like SUPER grumpy, like my-children-wished-I-would-stamp-myself-into-a-hole-in-the-ground-with-Rumpelstiltskin grumpy.

That's a lot of "likes," but it's true.

Due to something unexpected, I spent nearly 2 hours of prime midday sunlight doing something other than planting garlic or finishing a chunk of the outdoor chores I hoped to pack into this last beautiful day. (God keeps trying to teach me that crossing off to-dos is worth less than kindness. I'm still learning.)

Anyway, although this sounds like I'm using my blog as a confessional, I'm not. Mostly that preamble serves to explain why I didn't see the humor of planting my cell phone until just now. 

Millie (the girl who insisted I write a real-time post letting my reader-- hi Debbie!-- know this event) just read this over my shoulder, chuckled, and said, "You are VERY wordy. It doesn't need all that!"

I'm tired. She's right.

I sowed my cell phone while planting garlic with a headlamp. When I discovered it was missing, Millie called it, and we followed the muffled sound to a row of garlic. There it was, planted neatly into the row, waiting for spring cell shoots and a summertime harvest of a clump of FIVE cell phones.

She's right. Too wordy. I'm tired.

THE END.

5 comments :

Rebecca said...

WhAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaha!

I am sorry you're day went that route...

but you just MADE mine!

WHAT a story!

Abigail said...


Well, the garlic's in the ground, though the daffodil bulbs aren't. And next spring when my cell phone breaks, I'll probably regret uprooting it from those earthy hopes.

Molly said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you found it - and good for you to have battery longevity. That’s a great story with a greater ending.

Deborah Purdy said...

Ha!! At LEAST three readers!!!! And that's a terrific story. Thanks for the push, Millie.

Abigail said...


Molly,
Yet another story I told them they'll be sharing at my funeral someday. (There are a LOT.)

Deborah,
Wowsers! You're right! Time to start advertising and turning Ye Olde Blogge into a cash cow.