11.29.2022

Real Time

 I just finished reading (late) storybooks for a (late-late) bedtime and came in from kitchen errands to overhear this exchange between Cadence and Skylark. 

Background: Skylark slept on the floor in our room for a few weeks so I could monitor her, and then she never left. She's been sleeping there for well over a month, and she tells John and me she's sleeping there until she gets married.

I came into the conversation somewhere in the middle....

Cadence: But you CAN'T sleep there when you're married.

Skylark: Well, Mama is going to die and then I can sleep on her bed, and then Papa will die sometime, and then I can sleep on his bed.

Cadence, Well, anyway, I'm older, so I'll get married first....in like five years. --- brief pause---- looks over to me and asks, "Mama, how long will it be until I get married? Like five years?"

 

Here's your reminder that CADENCE IS ONLY SIX YEARS OLD.

Time moves fast, but thankfully not that fast.

2 comments :

Abigail said...

p.s. John and I do not have separate beds. I'm pretty sure Lark was banking on both of us dying so there would be room for both her and a future husband. SHEESH. Those girls.

Rebecca said...

Oh my word.

I am glad you write these things down. They are hilarious!

Also- I'd sleep with one eye open from now on. As soon as winter really comes, she'll be eyeing the bed a bit more closely.