1.28.2023

April 2022




















































































































































































                          




A distant cousin to that old adage about showers and flowers, though it doesn't have quite the same ring, is that April birthdays bring May bellyaches. One third of the year's birthday feasts all piled into one month results in a lot of frying, marinating, and baking, and our collective sweet teeth are so overindulged in April that by the fourth birthday, second helpings of birthday dessert become less popular. Plus, some of these birthdays usually occur during Lenten observances, so a little bit of sweetener goes a much farther way. 

In my last post, I said March was a curmudgeon toting candy sticks. If that was true, then April was the unpredictably explosive neighbor you warn your children not to poke. We crowed over the first warming of the earth, the gradual spread of redbud on the opposite hill, and sunshine on bare skin.  Easter fell mid-month, a chilly day of sun and wind, followed the next day by a heavy snowfall and a four-day power outage. April 2022 was a memorable month, but I'd entirely forgotten just how memorable until I began uploading these snapshots.

Go ahead and give me a round of applause. It's not even February of the new year, and I've already slapped April of 2022 on the page! You can't see me, but at this very moment, I'm bowing graciously toward the stage lights.

_______________

Susannah took the first 9 pictures of this post. She's my understudy in the wings.

 

No comments :