11.23.2005

In Passing.

Nearly a month's march later, I return to blogdom with a slew of snapshots. (Marches of much, in truth.)

Fall has swept in and out again, leaving us with a sharp and lively memory.

Sharper yet is the wind that now rushes at our windows. The Nixie has discovered the bite of handheld snow in bare palm, and--the glee!--Millie has renewed her acquaintance with snow-stomping. Both gladly share their wonder in the newness of it all, and our receiving of the same tempers the bleak gray and early morning slushiness.

John continues his steady whittling away of school tasks; only three weeks 'til the mountain crumbles! The road to prison comes ever closer...

Baby Berry is a contained jig, a constant note of life in this season of sleep. I welcome the jut of hand and foot and, grinning, watch my belly jump in rhythm. God is good, and we delight in the burst of life curled close within.

Our rear downstairs neighbor is moving to a new home tomorrow. We will miss her generous spirit and monotony-breaking visits. She takes with her Mr. Washer and Mrs. Dryer, so be awatch for snapshots of the local laundromat to attend the rest. This morning I wistfully placed the final two loads inside those magical machines... I am grateful that, because of her generosity, we haven't had to set foot in the laundromat for the past year and a half--something I should remember as I grumble my laundry-laden way in ice and snow. Oh, and she also gave us her table and chairs! No longer do the four of us have to squeeze ourselves, food, and condiments on a two-and-a-half by two-and-a-half foot table! Hurrah!

More bright spots--
Dude, Dudette, and Sarah Owen visited a few weeks ago. It was so good to visit and laugh with them again, and to enjoy the company of long-distant loved ones we see too rarely. Dude replaced the starter on our comatose car while John finished some schoolwork, and we're grateful to have extra wheels again. They showered us with gifts, goods, and a hearty helping of love, and I blame Dudette and a certain Honey-baked Ham (not my lack of self-control) for adding more weight to my ponderous frame.

We leave today to visit the Johnson clan in Nanticoke (not the whole clan, as all the other married siblings celebrate elsewhere this year). John plans to deliver three girls before driving back to Buffalo to finish up the Big Papers he has yet to write. It seems awfully unfair that he has to toil for a week and a half while we girls play and visit and (hopefully) go sledding, but when he comes to pick us up, he'll be ours in earnest! When we meet again, he'll be finished with school, and he can rest from the juggling act of the last year-and-a-half.

I'm off to take Cran-Orange Bread and Pumpkin-Raisin Nut Bread out of the oven. Our entire apartment smells edible.

P.S. One last oddly-placed joint for this disjointed post.
I've posted the recipes of last week's culinary adventure on buildabelly, so if you're the baking kind, take a peek.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Abby,

I'm so glad that you will be in Nanticoke for Thanksgiving!!! Christina is here, too, and we need to all get together! Maybe Friday?! How lon will John be here? I know Scott would love to see him, too!

It's been ages since you posted here! It's so good hear from you and to know that your family is doing well!

I'll have to check out those recipes soon!

Rebecca said...

Come Out Come Out where ever you are!

I hope all is well in your family...I wonder since it has been Marches of Months since you wrote (or so it seems). I hope that you will step out from the shadows for a friend in need.

DESPERATION!

I have been looking all over your blog for that peppermint patty recipe to no AVAIL! I think I must have checked ALL of your archives? I was sure you gave it to me per your blog...

Anyway-this week is the start of my baking week, and if I am to include them in Matt's platter for work...I must get cracking! If you are able, would you please email the recipe to me again-or direct me to the link?

MUST HAVE PEPPERMINT PATTIES!

PLEASE-HAVE MERCY! For PEANUT'S sake!

Rebecca

Abigail said...

Hullo!

In between editing papers and projects (FINISHED!), going to midwife and pediatrician's appts. (FINISHED!), laundering a la laundromat(FINISHED!...for now), lame attempts at decorating (FINISHED!), Christmas card making (unfinished), creature sewing and Christmas shopping (unfinished), shipping of ebay items (unfinished), grocery shopping (unfinished), baking and confecting (not even started, tho' I've whittled my list of over 15 kinds of chocolates down to a more reasonable number), and blah, blah, blah, I'm glad I checked my email to get this delivered comment of desperation! :)

I will post some fresh words and snapshots before Christmas, Lord willing, but until then, try looking in the May archive for the Peppermint Patty recipes. I used the first one, and, with an even thicker chocolate coating, they were heavenly! I used Aldi chocolate chips with a bit of shortening for coating, instead of the brown wax that grocery stores market as "chocolate candy coating." Also, I used peppermint oil instead of extract, to taste.

Oh, yeah, and please post what you end up making. I love to gaze upon sweet confections!

Abigail said...

(That would be the May 24th entry, "No More M.D.s and Filling Bellies with a Vengeance." Recipes at the very bottom.)

Rebecca said...

THANK YOU very very MUCH! I don't know how I missed it!

(Glad to hear all is well, albeit busy! I was beginning to wonder if the move of your lower level neighbor had left you internet-connectionless! :-) I just finished making secret-surprises of the fun-type for the girls, per Corynn's request. They will be put in the envelope with your Christmas card, if ever I get a picture taken of our family, to put IN it!) It may turn into a New Years card at the rate I am going!

:-)