6.16.2018

Small Thoughts While Planting Corn


They call it Fierce to face a cliff, to spider up
with climbing shoes and coiled rope, and Brave
to whack through bush in land unknown.
Brave to roam on earth that's tall and wide,
and Fierce to fly toward color, dust, and riot.

And so it sometimes is, but who I was
would not have called it such,
bent as I was toward tangle and wild,
reaches of trees and outcrops of stone.

A scrappy mass of freckles and bone,
not fierce or brave,
a simple tomboy hunting Fun
(which these pursuits would seem to be).

Now I bend to sow the corn,
with silver threading brown,
the same I was before
but more

and Fierce and Brave are many things,
so few would fit into my young-girl mind.
Fierce is facing dirty bowls with tired eyes
and Brave is choosing children over shouts of all who name us Fools.

Seeds over space,
souls over all,
again and again,
with a song.

6 comments :

Abigail said...

Small thoughts are just that, and ruminating over the modern's use of "fierce" was the particular germ for this post.

True ferocity and bravery are bigger yet, as I think of faithful brothers and sisters in Christ who hold fast and give their lives for the sake of the gospel.

You see.

Deborah Purdy said...

This is good, sister. I haven't gotten anywhere close to nine children deep yet and this is only my first year at home, but I suspect poems like this will be in my heart, too, someday.

Also, I still am so very bad at commenting. I love everything you post and could--should--comment and let you know so.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful
God bless, A.Cuffee

-ML said...

Always an eloquence - with words, with photos, with life. A graceful "flow" of time with family, friends, even with soil itself. Your words reach and touch the depth of one's soul always giving me room to stop and ponder. Thank you.

Much love!

heidiann(e) said...

indeed.
love.

Abigail said...

Thanks, Amelia!
A bit clunky but what can one expect while planting corn! ;)

Debbie,
One or nine-- it doesn't matter. The experience of motherhood only takes one.! (Nine just = more noise, is all.)

Molly,
Letter soon!

H.ann(e),
Visit soon, please! We need to have the whole family over!
Yes to exclamation marks.
!
!
!