2.28.2005

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER IS SO PROUD.

I've not read as much as I would like the past two months. But then, anyone reading as much as they'd like doesn't like to read as much as they should, doesn't have a family to love, or is neglecting their own (or they've learned the secret of time-management that I never will). Post-holiday stupidities gobbled most of my time, but now, in the uncomfortable lull between winter and spring, I welcome book recommendations. One shelf of a bookshelf is already stacked double-deep with books on my waiting list, so what better action is there than to solicit more?

I also welcome any guitar-playing tips.
My fingers still fumble so freely fumbreely.

My warning--I will probably bypass most recommendations in favor of helping the wee girls with the complexities of play, nourishment, and bodily functions.

oh, and mopping.
When the floor begins to crackle and squeech under my feet, I sigh and brandish the mop.

(Speaking of neglecting one's own, Millie, Raider of Pantry Closets, has slathered herself with peanut butter in the short moment it took for me to write this...)

4 comments :

Rebecca said...

Abby~ most of the stuff I am reading (and rereading) now is pertaining to the Sabbath, namely Call the Sabbath A Delight and Celebrate the Sabbath. I really need to read Victory in Jesus and Promise of the Future to get some grasp on the different eschatological views (something that doesn't seem to ever make sense or interest me...GASP!) I just need to do it.

Have you ever read The Well Trained Mind? It is a guide to Classical Education. If you haven't, I will mail it to you with the letter (and book you most graciously loaned me) I intend to send your way right shortly. I would be interested in discussing it with you.

Do you like fiction? I have succeeded in luring every lady at the church into the Abram's Daughters series by Beverly Lewis. She is a great author because she encorporates Amish culture and traditions within the books she writes. I haven't had one complaint-except that one lady isn't reading the book the other lady needs fast enough.

Abigail said...

John introduced The Well Trained Mind to me when I was teaching at Whitney Point, and I've read large portions of it since, skimming the later grades. I highly recommend it and actually lent it to my sister-in-law Wendy last year. (Thanks for the reminder...I should ask her if she still has it because I'm feeling the need to begin some rudimentary homeschooling preparation now rather than a few days before Millie's 4th or 5th birthday.)

And, yes, I love fiction. I prefer it to all else, in fact, though I should balance it with more commentary and essays. The fiction I read usually veers pretty far away from Christian Women's Fiction, though, unless C.S. Lewis's book Till We Have Faces belonged in that category. (My mom has read some Beverly Lewis I think, and I remember seeing some at Anna's house during our house-sitting spree. She also recommended them. I'll ask my mom if she's got some lying around...)

In regards to Till We Have Faces, I count it among my favorite books of all time. (And I mean "all [earthly] time" literally, for it's one of those books that gives something new each time I read it.)

Abigail said...

your use of the word "lure" makes me feel like the fly who got away!

Abigail said...

oh, i forgot.
i would love to discuss it with you next time we're down. i'll try to re-read it by then so that i can actually have something to discuss.

i think the Lord's Day should be a feast day. onward with the caramel pork chops!