2.23.2005

spring the apple-blossom girl...

.....couldn't embrace our little plot of a backyard too soon, in my opinion.
I'd even welcome her as a wanton hussy, arriving without so much as a proper "howd'y'do."
(c'mon, sod, soften!)

I'd escaped full-blown spring fever until today, when the meals I most wanted for supper called for freshly torn herbs, and now I'm longing to sow our usual vegetable garden with this year's anticipated twist of herbs and wildflowers.

But, oh, do I have impossible visions, and what I wouldn't give for a garden running over. I started making a list of what I want to plant when she comes. After a bit, I started to laugh at myself. Look below and you'll understand my mingled mirth and disappointment.

THE BEGINNING OF MY GARDEN WISH LIST
sweet and hot peppers
plump red and yellow cherry tomatoes
Early Girl tomatoes (to munch on while everything else is still ripening)
roma tomatoes (for canning...After 3 years, we'll finally have garden spaghetti with Jack Frost!)
a variety of leaf lettuce
red and white tators
burpless cukes
summer, butternut, and acorn squash
sunflowers for shade and seeds
zucchini for everything under the sun
onions
green and yellow beans
carrots
broccoli
cauliflower
pumpkins
melons
sugar snap peas
Sweet Millenium corn (oh, honey, it's sweet like sugar)
dillweed
basil
oregano
peppermint and spearmint,
cilantro
maybe even a few radishes thrown in for good measure
and I'd love to have a rhubarb patch
and, oh, dear.......
If only we had acres instead of inches.

My list requires the use of the entire back yard and a goodly portion of the neighborhood, as well! (And I've already seriously contemplated and then ruled out the option of tilling our entire backyard.)

So to those of you with elbow room and land for army gardens, use them well! And think of us in Depew, doling out our soil as wisely as we can, skimping every last inch.
Stay tuned.
In several months, I'll unveil which handful of vegetables made the cut....

2 comments :

Rebecca said...

Oh Abby-you're lucky if you are just being affected. I have been bit by the bug for weeks now and just can't seem to shake it. I too, have been drawing and mapping plans for a garden. The land lady said we could have a garden in the raised bed out back (the previous tenant worked it)...it is about 6'x6' (no matter that the yard out back is a bit over half an acre!) I thought also about creating "pot" gardens around the house but I am really nervous...since the land lady cut up marigolds around our mailbox after we moved in. What might she do to the things I grow? Eek.
You have quite a list going...for some reason, I bet you will get a good portion of it in. I still remember going to your mom's garden and standing in awe of the glory of it. Wow. Someday I hope we will have the means to have a garden like that. Of course, I have a lot to learn-as Scott found out when I naively asked, "So, potatoes grow under ground, then?!?!" Yikes.

Abigail said...

i say, you should engage in a little nightime gardening revelry when spring arrives. your landlady won't know what hit her if she awakes to a backyard blooming full of greenery. you should plant so much that her shears dull before she manages to cut more than a snippet of the whole. (and then share the fruits with her, of course...)

p.s. onions, carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, and radishes do, too.... :)