6.08.2015





The sky is flat and gray and skims the trees like a low-hanging roof.  After sheets of rain flattened us earlier, we and the nearly-finished gardens wait for more rain, and seeds yet unsown sit piled on the dining room table. 

The almost comical regret and sorrow I felt yesterday centered around a lack of flaked coconut in the cupboards. Today would be a perfect day to warm the house by making a German chocolate cake, but just like last year, we have no flaked coconut in the house.   Unlike past years, we won't settle for making a spice cake, instead.

The Reason for cake-making on June 8th has flown. 
We miss you, Dad.
Happy birthday.

4 comments :

Deborah Purdy said...

He's been on my mind all day, too. Love you, sister. (And I think I might steal that picture.)

Molly said...

You and your family remain ever so deep within my heart, my thoughts and my prayers.

Rebecca said...

I wonder at how he must be celebrating his birthday today... it's a glorious thought. And he is living it.

Renata said...

((hugs)) I am praying for you all.