3.26.2022

Puppies- Part Deux-- May 2021

 

Puppies grow even faster than babies do.

We welcomed 8 little puppies on Cinco de Mayo, 2021, and Millie promptly gave them all Spanish names. John Wayne was the (proud?) papa this time around, and we kept one of the pups to remember him by. He is not yet gone from this earth, never fear, but he's 12 years old now, so we know the goodbye is coming. 

I'll introduce Marigold when I finally time-travel to the present, but here are the puppies as they were last May. (My mother helped coax the runt back to life after we'd given him up for dead-- Lazarus was renamed Jax, but I still call him Lazarus in my head.)























Just a couple of weeks later, they filled more than half the puppy box, all flopped over and drunk on milk.  Look at Lazarus (Jax)! He's half the size of the other puppies here, but now he's tall, long, and lean, and built like a greyhound. 


















Deborah and the children came over a couple of times to meet the puppies. Marnie was the only one to have no concerns regarding the ferocious beasties.














She and Ransom wore their matching outfits from Aunt Sarah J., and they enjoyed meeting each other again. Babies are always wonderful, but I love to watch them experience the conscious wonder of recognizing another baby, like them but different.



















(Half the puppy pictures were taken by Millie, but I don't remember which half. Just assume from here on out that most pictures are taken by Millie, Susannah, or Piper, because they used my camera more than I did in 2021. M and S both have their own cameras for 2022, though, and now I'M borrowing THEIRS. What goes around...)


4 comments :

Molly said...

David just now commented that he wishes WE had a puppy from John Wayne! We just love that dog. I will never forget the story of how he survived the vicious racoon attack while protecting his home and I believe another survival of a broken leg from a mailman mishap? What a good dog - and a survivor.

Much love!

Molly said...

Looks like I misspelled - RACCOON! What an embarrassment. The older I get the more I need spell check.

cadie said...

That last picture! Debbie looks so happy!

Abigail said...


Molly,
He is! I already get a bit sad thinking about the time to come without him. He came here as a baby in our very first spring here in the old homestead. It won't be the same place without him. <3 (p.s. I didn't even notice you'd misspelled it! I don't think you have anything to worry about, ha.)

Cadie,
She was! The children were being utterly adorable with the puppies.