3.06.2011

Love Knows No Color. It Has No Scent.

Before Christmas, John's Aunt Charlotte mailed us five stuffed animals she'd found new at a yard sale, to be used as I saw fit. I tucked them away for Christmas morning, but not before letting the girls take a peek to determine which beast would best fit each beauty.

Millie=spotted fawn
Annika=green mallard duck
Susannah=cute raccoon
Luci=wee chipmunk

Piper, uniquivocably=SKUNK


She loved him from the moment she laid eyes on him, promptly named him Stinker (aided by her sisters), and has remained faithful ever since. Given that one of Piper's own nicknames is also Stinker, this match will certainly endure.

She feeds him the choicest morsels from her own plate,



laments, "'Tinker, 'Tinker not here!" if I lay her abed without her comrade.




and carries him around like a baby the whole day through.


This sight is what prompted me to pull out the camera to begin with. I walked into the living room to see her standing on the rocker, violently rocking Stinker to sleep.
Skunks are weird like that.


4 comments :

Matt said...

I'm sure this goes without saying, but it obviously bears repeating. You do realize that a picture of Pip kissing a skunk will be on the internet for at least a million generations.

Abigail said...

Y'know, I've always been extremely pessimistic regarding the viability of blogs. I know Rebecca and other mothers who pour out beauty for posterity and their children's children, but I just can't shake the unfounded belief that the Internet will implode too soon for my girls to see a lick of these words or snapshots as adults.

(Interestingly, that's a sound excuse for pouring out nekkid babies and skunk-kissers instead of beauty and substance. Not that I would need such an excuse, mind you...)

Farmgirl said...

1) Pip and skunk... I love this. It is so adorable it makes me want to hug her, though we've never met.

2) I share your internet-imploding-blog-gone-fears. I am likely going to print my blog as soon as I can afford it, because to lose my thoughts and pictures (written mostly for me, anyway) would make me terribly sad.

Abigail said...

You definitely should print it when you can. It'd be a treasure for those boys of yours.