3.31.2005

TECH, NO!

Amid all the buzzing about technology and its proper place in our lives, I offer an anecdote from the life of Millie.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
To set the scene...imagine a not-so-sterile, rest stop bathroom, complete with new-fangled, self-flushing toilets. Place atop one of them a small tyke who hates these toilets because they startle her by flushing before she finishes her business.

[Business finished after one unexpected and interruptive flush.]

Millie, standing, hand on hip, staring at toilet: "Fyush."

Toilet, quiet and still: No response

Millie, much louder with echoes, now pointing demandingly at the toilet: "Fyush youself!"

Toilet, slightly intimidated: "FLOOOOSSSHHH."

Millie, mouth agape in triumph and awe: "It did fyush itself!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Even a toilet that doesn't flush itself is cause for amazement, though.
What street rat dodging between the houses of London could have imagined such a thing a few hundred years back?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
And now I'm off to give a few loads of soiled clothing to a revolving metal man who cleans for me.

4 comments :

Abigail said...

The mentioned "buzzing" was not a reference to Mrs. Schiavo. I realized after posting that it could seem a careless and lighthearted response to something that is neither.

Bioethical issues were the root, though. I just returned from visiting my doctor, who tactfully refrained from speaking her mind regarding my and John's recent, and possibly future, decision, although her blank stare spoke volumes. Then I thought about homesteading and about the Terry House on the Hill, and about toilets, and how even the bucket-o'-water flushing method is miraculous.

A circuitous route, but a route, nonetheless, to the Millie anecdote.

Rebecca said...

I can't wait for the day Corynn makes such wonderful "toddlerisms". I LOVE that stage. You must have so much fun with Millie-fun things are ALWAYS coming out of her mouth!

Scott M Terry said...

Tell Anni Happy Birthday for us will ya. Be sure to give her a kiss from her Uncle Scott!

Scott

Abigail said...

Uncle Scott:
Will do! For you! (Man, I wish you guys were close enough for cake eating...)

Rebecca:
And I can't wait to hear of her wonderful "toddlerisms." Already she holds so much promise for prize-winning entries!