5.22.2005

Not-So-News

What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.

What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
................-T.S. Eliot (from Four Quartets)
__________________________________________


Today's Notes: psuedo-aphoristic style
(induced by one short meandering of the morning's sermon)
* Don't fret over what has no remedy.
* When you've been wronged by gossip, steer clear of the same. (And even if you haven't been...)
* Don't put much stock in second-hand stories.
* One side is still only one side.
_____________________________________________

I'm still slowly reading through Till We Have Faces. The familiarity of rereading dulls the urgency that I feel on first readings, and I've enjoyed picking it up every few nights and knowing where I am, what has come before, and what is yet to come.
_____________________________________________

Millie tried to wrench my head off yesterday. Holding my head between her little palms, she twisted, pulled, and tried to unscrew it from the niche of my neck. When I told her she couldn't take it off, and that, furthermore, heads usually just don't come off, she insisted, "But I want to take it off!" She
might have been a master executioner during the French Revolution. I should read A Tale of Two Cities to her to develop tenderness and sympathy toward lost heads. (On a related note, I've been reading her-- somewhat unfaithfully-- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. She can handle a chapter at a time, and though she doesn't quite understand how it happened, she likes the fact that Mr. Tumnus is a "man with goat legs.")
______________________________________________

The weekend is almost at its end, and the rototiller did not materialize.
______________________________________________

I've consumed coffee cake, hot cocoa, donut holes, and cookies today, with no wholesome food-- apart from milk-- for balance. My belly almost aches, and my spirit is tired. The two are quite possibly related.
______________________________________________

Annika is wearing a disposable diaper right now, which allows me to rest. This is not-so-very news. Look at the photo of my hand-me-down, Evergreen shirt (composed of 100% certified, organically grown cotton) sandwiched between cotton diapers of the past 2 days. Now, go ahead, sneer at the irony.

5 comments :

Abigail said...

Of her own accord, Millie has dubbed disposable diapers "fake diapers." They are much different than cloth diapers, which, as everyone knows, are the Real deal.

Diapers, schmeipers.

Rebecca said...

What'cha doing this weekend?
Perhaps you would like some company???

Rebecca said...

OKay-after I got you all excit4ed, maybe....I am not entirely sure this is going to work.


Are you free? we MAY be able to come out this weekend...we MAY not. I have to talk to Matt about some commitments we have already made and since he is away for three days...I have to wait until my nightly phone call to talk to him. Anyway-let me know and we will discuss our options...

Abigail said...

ks (kind soul),
I never snapped this many shots of the girls before we had a digital camera because I could hear $$$ fleeing every time I pushed the button. Now, though... :)

The garden my parents had as I grew up was about 65' x 125' (it's much smaller now that 5 of 7 children don't live there anymore!), and I'd never heard of square foot gardening until recently. I don't know much about using raised beds, but I just looked at the author's website, and I think that method of gardening would solve a lot of my space problems. I hope our next home will have land to spare (we'll probably be moving after my husband graduates at the end of this year), but if our next place lacks land, too, then I will definitely get this book out of the library. Thanks for the tip!

Rebecca,
WAHOO! YOU'RE COMING!
wait one second...
OH! YOU MIGHT NOT BE!

We would love to see you three! When John gets home, I'll see if he is going to be home on Saturday morning/afternoon. We will be here all weekend, but John may go to a convention in Toronto on Saturday while we girls stay home. Either way, it'd be wonderful to have Newman visitors! If blogging comments don't accomodate, give us a ring.

Abigail said...

p.s. If you have diaper covers to spare, I'll gladly take them. Between you and Leah (who gave me all my cloth diapers and smaller covers 3 years ago), I won't ever spend a dime. :)