6.10.2005

And all manner of things shall be well...

...when this hot wind returns to the desert and my husband returns to his home.
__________________________________________________________

The girls are in bed, sleeping away the ill effects of a harrowing ride home. To be honest, though, a normal driver my age with a decent amount of self-sufficiency wouldn't have even blinked. I had to drive home in unfamiliar territory after dropping John off at the airport. I weaved my way across two lanes, cut off others (even with a police car to my right), all to remedy my nearly disastrous wrong turn onto a foreign highway, and all the while holding my breath until my face turned purple. To some, this all would have been laughably easy, but I felt more like Psyche facing impossible tasks. (This analogy is due to the fact that I just finished Til We Have Faces a few weeks ago, and Psyche's plight is fresh in my mind.) Anyway, we're safe at home, and all of the car's fluid has leaked out, and we will let it sit until John returns home on Sunday night.
_____________________________________________________

Til We Have Faces
remains a favorite. Lewis uses language sparingly, and the beauty of the writing in this book is one reason why I hold it so close (the story itself is the other). Here's my blog, spilling over with excessive vocabulary, praising the power of sparse words in Til We Have Faces. Humph.
___________________________________________________________

The temperature here is oppressive. (And likely is there, there, and there, too.) I am heavy with heat. Last night, a spectacular thunderstorm arrived, the first of our spring. Its rumbling song and finger flashes, along with the steady sound of rain, more than made up for my skin's stickiness. A balm. Nothing more need be said.
___________________________________________________________

Our vegetable hopes are finally in the dirt. John tilled, and the next day Millie and I quickly planted. The swiftness with which we were able to finish reveals the size of our garden. At my request, John extended it a few yards this year, but, even so, it barely garners modest size status (See Figure 1 below). The tree in our yard is a blessing, but its ever-reaching roots and great arms limit the area within which we can work. That's okay. I'd rather have the tree than a bare square. We found fistfuls of glass shards and age-eroded, metal mysteries again this year, reaping a mighty harvest for the garbage can's belly. We also found buried treasure (See Fig. 2 below). Millie helped me plant the beans and tomatoes, and she planted her own little plot and some "puppins," to boot (Fig. 3). I want the pumpkins to flourish, but I also don't want them hogging earth belonging to the other plants. We placed them next to the chain link fence in hopes that we can conserve some space through their mountaineering (Fig. 4).

I realized, in the middle, that planting the garden was the first exercise, apart from sissy housework, that I've had in too long to remember. And planting a garden is only light exercise. I miss it, though-- my body sweating because it's accomplishing something, not because of the deadly combination of the couch's orange plaid wool with the rising sun. It will be good someday to have outside tasks again. (On a related note, there sure are a lot of benefits to not owning a scale.)
__________________________________________________________

I love children's books (which doesn't diminish my love of adult books, of course), and every time we go to the library, I pick out ten or so. After sifting through all the dross that somehow gets published, I usually find several books to feast on that I never knew existed. Although they're known to the far reaches, I think Frog and Toad are two creatures who deserve their fame and acclaim, and it's fitting to combine my love of children's books with my newly planted garden. Arnold Lobel, the man who put them on paper, described them this way:

Somehow in the writing of the manuscript for Frog and Toad Are Friends I was, for the first time, able to write about myself. Frog and Toad are really two aspects of myself.
Well, Mr. Lobel, I am Toad, through and through....(See Figures 5 and 6)
_________________________________________________________

A blind woman in a bright orange shirt just walked by my window. Sometimes at college, when I was late for class and the walks were clear of bodies, I would close my eyes and try to navigate confidently in darkness. I walked in darkness but was never truly confident, and within minutes I usually opened my eyes to see where I had wandered. I'm always struck by the confidence that blind people must have in order to walk the streets so swift and sure.
__________________________________________________________

Town living in the heat means that the ice cream truck stops outside our house. We don't buy overpriced, iced treats, but the boy downstairs does. Millie has keen ears for the truck's tune. She always hears its music before we do, and rushes to the window in high excitement. A few days ago, we were eating pizza at one of our downstairs neighbor's apartments, and Millie inexplicably bolted out the door. John ran after her and found her already outside, nearly to the sidewalk, waiting for the truck that had made its way halfway down the street. None of us had heard a thing. (I think all ice cream truck men are relatives of the Pied Piper of Hamlin.)

This obsession with all things ice cream has Millie driving invisible ice cream trucks, handing John, Nixie, and I cones all the livelong day. Let me tell you, it gets a little tiring to lick a dozen invisible cones a day. The past few days, thankfully, she's been giving them to her invisible friends, too, which gives my weary tongue some relief.

Right now, though, she's not driving an ice cream truck. She's flying a plane high in the sky--"My plane is pink, Mom, and yours is blue and Anka's is black." (I suppose mine is blue because I told her John was flying on a Jet Blue plane...)
___________________________________________________________

So I spent the day making birthday cards, hemming pants, watering skin, taking leave of my beloved friend, and tensely journeying through the Wide Unknown to our little apartment. Home again, home again.

And now the girls are up, and it's time to dip them in the tub to wash away heat rash before feeding them macaroni salad. Ah, macaroni.

5 comments :

Rebecca said...

The heat is getting to me too. I thought the house would be cool in the summer-as frigid as it always was in winter. Boy, was I wrong. I bought a circulating fan at a yard sale last week and it has become our dearest friend. We haul it with us to whatever room we go to. hehehehe

The blasted ice cream truck. My mother curses that musical madman each day when Cameron throws a royal hissy. I am so happy to live in a rural town...

Your garden looks great...and it looks even bigger than ours which is bizarre because your yard is so much smaller. hmmmm.. How does that work? I STILL haven't put the garden in, waiting on compost from dear hubby. grrrrrrrr. My container plants are doing well though. I have tomato's and green peppers (I started from seed.) I ha to transplant them because the other seedlings died a brutal death being burned to death in the sauna that we call a mud-room.

I have been a royal grump-a-lump. Heat and I don't mix. 'course, neither does COLD and I? So what's a girl to do?!?!?!

Abigail said...

I love the ice cream truck! It may be funny, but I really do. I had never seen one before we moved to Buffalo (apart from the Schwann's refrigerated truck which would drive by our house every once in a blue moon, which doesn't count)and it was very exciting the first time it it drove by with a "doodly, doodly, du, du, du, du-du, du-du, du-du-duuuuuuu." :)

I just hope our garden grows. I only planted a quarter, if that, of what I wanted to, but am still pleased with how much we were able to squeeze in! (Don't tell Scott, but this year I actually broke down and BOUGHT some manure, A.K.A. Black Gold. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd pay for what I always had too-abundant access to...)

Her Royal Highness Grump-A-Lump...I like it! Seriously, though, the hose has been a lifesaver for us this past week.

Abigail said...

Oh, and I would be pleased as punch to live again in a rural area, but I see no harm in appreciating the unique aspects of town. Musical trucks filled with ice cream....

Anonymous said...

Abby I am greatly amused at how similar our live seem sometimes!

As for the heat, it is 96 degrees, and may yet rise a little more. Indoors, (according to the weather station/atomic clock we bought Mom as a birthday present last year) it is only 81 degrees and about 58% humidity--and it really is the humidity that kills. This morning it was 70% humidity inside, and and I was afraid we were all going to boil alive; Lachlan was asking for a nice glass of oxygen. After the kids started up the fan that pumps cool air in the basement up to the kitchen, the humidity dropped 10% and it feels amazingly cool. (Relatively speaking!)

I hate driving. I really, really hate driving. (Except when I get lost and/or in unfamiliar territory, I don't hold my breath, I start talking out loud to myself.)

When I was younger, I always used to go out to the chicken yard, where there were all sorts of "treasure" scratched up by the chickens. Not counting broken glass and old batteries (!!!) we found countless marbles, glass jars, slightly broken figurines, a few jingle bells, belt buckles, somebody's old metal beach passes, tons of broken pottery which often times had pretty designs on it, and peach pits. The grass is growing much better now, so "treasure" is rarely found.

I LOVE Frog and Toad. . .it's part of the culture around here; it's not at all uncommon to hear us quoting bits and pieces of it on any given day. If you haven't all ready, you should really get the tapes/CDs of Arnold Lobel reading them aloud.

Apparently little kids are the same everywhere. Deirdre, having never seen an ice cream truck, is slightly less repetitious. Nonetheless, we are fed more invisible food than I ever care to eat. Also, her telephone is always ringing off the hook with people for us to talk to.

And hemming is a task I'm well familiar with, in this family of short people, but who on earth are you hemming for?

Abigail said...

I think the heat wave might be breaking! This is the first morning in many that the air outside our apartment has been cooler than that within. (This is a good sign as our little, upper room has been in the 90's for the past week. Every time I looked at the indoor temperature guage, it hovered between 91 and 95. I finally just stopped looking!)

I love to drive on country roads, barring extenuating circumstances like crying girls or other things. I don't enjoy driving on busy roads, but I can handle it if I'm familiar with the area. By the way, I alternated between holding my breath and talking to myself; that is, until Millie started responding to what I was saying as if I was conversing with her. Then I continued talking for the sake of talking, but with "Millie" tacked on the front of every sentence.

Metal beach passes? See! Your area was once a tropical resort until the weather became fickle. (I prefer imagining that to the more likely idea that someone lost their beach passes off the beach.)

My sister just emailed me a link to an auction on ebay for records of Lobel reading Frog and Toad. I don't buy much from eBay, apart from hard-to-find birthday presents, but I wish I'd bid. Millie's birthday is coming up at the end of the summer. I bet she would like them... :)

Dierdre must be calling Millie and Millie calling Dierdre. They use false names so that we don't know, but that's what keeps their telephones so infernally busy!

I hem for John. He bought some pants 32" in length, and he's about 5'6". He doesn't care if they're hemmed or not, but these are nicer pants that I'd hate to see get worn away at the bottoms too soon.