6.21.2005

Organist Uncut.

John showed me this very cool site. The artwork makes my brain whirl. I can't imagine the mathematics that goes into each creation, and I'd rather not! My older sister is the math whiz, not me.
____________________________________________________________

Our garden grows, as gardens are wont to do. A pair of scissors, some borrowed rocks from the riverbed, and one box of Aldi black plastic garbage bags fulfil the same basic role as the pricier garden plastic, as I discovered last year. I laid most of the black plastic yesterday and put up some of the tomato cages. Last year, I didn't use cages and tried to stake the tomatoes instead. The sturdy stakes were too expensive, though, and the flimsy ones I used didn't help a bit! Many tomatoes suffered from resting on damp ground with no sunlight, but this year, I anticipate fewer rotting tomatoes. Serves me right for being such a cheapskate. (Thanks for the loan of some cages, Mopsy and Popsy.)
____________________________________________________________

On Saturday, we attended a delightful wedding and watched our friends Fred and Elizabeth clasp hands and covenant with one another in the eyes of God and man. She is a talented artist and a kind person, and he is a talented musician and composer who is also a kind person. They complement each other well, and it is good to know they are a joined force until death parts.

They love Trekkies. Several months ago, we gave them Trekkies 2 to celebrate their engagement, and they plan to watch it at our home this Thursday night.

Their costume party wedding reception spilled over with pirates, astronauts, fur traders, peacocks, washing machines, robots, flappers, and more, most fashioned from scraps of cloth, cardboard, and color. It began at 6 o'clock in the evening, and we didn't leave until 11 o'clock at night. By that time, the Nixie had lost interest in the lights and sound, although Millie was still twirling to the tune-- a perfect blend of background melody and fitful bursts from her own high-pitched harmonica.
_____________________________________________________________

Today as I was dumping out the diaper pail water into the toilet (after removing the diapers, of course), Millie frantically said, "Oh, JACY'S in there!" Apparently, Jacy (her favorite invisible friend who also happens to be her rarely seen cousin) had been using the bathroom, and I knocked her into the toilet bowl with a waterfall of diaper water. Before you call Social Services to ask them to stick their Pinnochio noses into my bathroom, let me defend myself by stating once again that Jacy is invisible. Plus, I fished her out immediately for a rinse in the tub. (I love kites, whether or not Pinnochio.)
______________________________________________________________

Ebay is a strange and wonderful place. I rarely buy anything, but where else could I possibly make money on things that most garage-salers would only sniff at? Our latest Ebay feats? A memory card we found in a ten cent box at a rummage sale sold for $18.00, and a pile of Needlecraft for Today back issues found at a library book sale fetched us enough to pay for the 5 bags of books we bought. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Three cheers for Ebay bidders! May they live long with abundant money burning holes in their pockets. (And may we find a place for our stacks of books....)
______________________________________________________________

This Friday we leave for our Dear Family Vacation. We'll visit my family (and our friends Scott & Leah and Matt & Rebecca) in Nanticoke before travelling to Scranton to visit with Brother Pete & Sarah and for John (& Pete, probably) to attend the annual synod of our church denomination, which is held near Scranton this year. Then we're off to Speonk, Long Island, to spend time with John's family (and to see the ocean!). I'm looking forward to seeing all of these wonderful kin, especially because we don't get to see any of them nearly as much as we'd like.
______________________________________________________________

Oh, yes, a baby grows within me. Please pray that God gives the wee one health and growth in the right place and join us in praise of the Creator who has knit a new life!

p.s. I'm due in the middle of February, close to my brother Pete's February 15th birthday.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had heard congrats were in order, and we will pray for the wee one in the womb! It seems to be a time of year to hear of pregnancies--just heard of 2 down here in the last week or so. That origami site is cool, as is the kite one--will have to show them to the kids. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Abersnail, I was so happy to see you on Saturday and offer this, my photoblog post for today, as tribute:
http://iconville.net/photoblog/?image=050622_abbyClown

And supserdupercongrats on further reproduction of yourselves! Wow. ........ Wow.........

Wow.

Abigail said...

Beck,
Thanks for the prayers. So far it seems as if all is well. I am counting down until Friday!

Davuth,
Millie and I were both delighted by this gift! John showed me your photoblog of small wonders on Sunday morning, but with the people pictures, now I have two blogs to consume! I am again reminded of the range of talents you hold within. Your photos are beautiful.

Thanks for the thrice-typed wow! (I wonder if it's an omen of three babies hiding inside...)

Rebecca said...

I am afraid I am hooked on another blog now. Dave, though I have never met you, I am quite impressed with your talent not only in the photographic realm but in the great presentation you offer! Creativity just oozes from your photoblog...and has entangled me in it's sticky little fingers.

Anonymous said...

A hearty CONGRATULATIONS to the Owens from the Terrys! What a wonderful blessing! We so enjoyed your visit last night! We're glad to have you back here, even if only for a a little while.

Abigail said...

So what kind of name is "J"?

A fun surprise visit! We hear snatches of your Lancaster life from Heidi, and it seems you're doing great, too. Although, to be sure, you haven't produced beautiful children yet. (Have you?)

If you don't have Greg Brown's c.d. Dream Cafe yet, get it out from the library and have a listen. It contains one of my favorite songs of his. (Sleeper.)

Please click hence often. You'll see babies grow beautifuller and beautifuller before your very eyes, all while reading redundant snippets of Depew life. (Just wait until John gets a job as a prison librarian, though, and the prisoners hold him hostage. Things will liven up on this blog, I promise.)