8.28.2019

Closet Bedroom, Redux, Phase One


So it all started when I pulled out the paint for the girls' room that I bought last summer but never made the time to use and started talking about minor changes I hoped would make the room look larger and lovelier.

Later that week, Annika and I were standing in our catch-all closet (since turning the other closet into Millie's bedroom, our house has a six-foot pole closet in mine and John's bedroom and a walk-in closet for EVERYTHING crammed floor to ceiling in the landing). While in this catch-all closet for EVERYTHING, she mused, "Do you know what would be my biggest wish and the most amazing thing ever, even though I know it can't ever happen?" I knew she was headed into the fabled "my own room" land before she even got there. 

My brain turned traitor, and, while thinking it might be a terrible idea, I got out a measuring tape to see if a mattress would fit in the closet. Sure enough, it would.  It was all downhill from there. First, we ripped out the shelving and piled everything into the landing. That's when our upstairs turned into a trash mound for three straight months. The closet looked heaps better, though!







Everyone wanted to help remove the hardware from the drywall. What fun!








And there it was. The only thing we left in the closet bedroom was the mouse poison, because in old houses, that's a given.




It took two months to find a used captain's bed in our price range, but she didn't mind sleeping like this for the duration. A mattress in Paradise. And, yes, I had to actually stand on the mattress to take the picture.




And to see the rest of the story, you'll have to sit it out until I load the snapshots from July and August, when the captain's bed and OTHER VERY EXCITING THINGS arrived!


No comments :