4.08.2005

GROO IS DEADLIER THAN DEATH OR TAXES.

A wreck can be deserted
And a fire can be doused.
A flood can be diverted
And the homeless can be housed.
For almost all disasters
There is something you can do,
But no one ever masters
Warding off the deadly two.
You cannot stop their grand assault
With arrows, swords, or axes.
No, nothing in this world can halt
The curse of death and taxes.

(Many thanks to Sergio Aragones, his silly disaster Groo, and attending fellows for the fitting poem.)

This morning I filed for four month extensions on both the federal and state income tax forms. WAHOO! This year's will be the first birthday in three that I haven't spent frantically double-checking numbers before the post office closed. Last year, I didn't do taxes before Annika's Fool-ish birth, and then was understandably distracted the next two weeks--until the 13th or 14th of the month, that is. Before you shake your heads in disgust at my laziness, let me assure you that THIS year, I have already filled out both forms and am only waiting on a paper coming in the mail that has to be attached to the 1040. Ha! And all of you thought I was a procrastinator....

This year, with crinkled eyes and a crooked grin, I will celebrate the 15th correctly again.

Millie and I are two billy girls glum, eying the sublime weather through the window while Annika sleeps. We'll venture out in between clothes-washing and summer-clothes-sorting and last-minute-checking of Ebay questions, though. I was thoughtless enough to put 30-odd items up for auction at one time, and potential buyers are already pestering me. "Last minute" because John will arrive home shortly and then leave even more shortly for his and the computer's weekly overnighter. (Only one more month until school is put on the shelf and Friday nights become pizza nights again! Be on the lookout for a delicious pizza recipe.)

I always have such grand plans for Friday nights. After the girls skip off to Slumberland, I eagerly plan to sketch and write and sing and play guitar and read. More often than not, though, by the time dishes are done and the house put in halfhearted order, I don't have the energy to do more than read. Tonight I want to begin Till We Have Faces again. It's one of my books for life, and it's about time for another reading.

Tonight's night is the exception. My crazy-cool sister-in-law Sarah and equally such brother Pete mailed up a glorious package last week. Included with all the other delights were songsheets for the guitar, a 12-pack of watercolor tubes, and a big, beautiful pad of quality watercolor paper. She also e-mailed me a link to Gillian Welch guitar chords. HURRAH! So tonight will be different; I eagerly plan to sketch and write and sing and play guitar and read. (Wait a second....that sounds familiar.)

Oh, and soon enough, seed sowing will commence! With the feverish blogging of garden adventures a certain Nantichokian has done, I'm beginning to feel like I'm behind the eight ball! (Threats of frost still loom large in Depew, but I am raring to go, Scott!)

7 comments :

Abigail said...

I recommend Till We Have Faces to everyone, but, for goodness' sake, buy it from a mom or a pop somewhere and only use my Amazon link for information!
(How's that for covering myself...)

Matt said...

I like the poem Abby. I also like your disclaimer.

Although I happened to think, are taxes really a curse similar to the curse of death?

As Christians we know that death itself was a judgement from the beginning becuase of the fall. However, Christ clearly says to pay tribute to whom tribute is due, muzzle not the ox, and that we should be subject to higher governmental powers.
I think it's misleading also to speak of taxes even in a 'necessary evil' tone.
Taxes shouldn't be burdensome but reality teaches us otherwise. I suppose that's where taxes get a bum rap. To think federally though, it's the church's fault taxes are so high. We've allowed gov't to go beyond their juristriction and in many cases they've violated common sense. Naturally, too, our gov't didn't appear from a vacuum. It's a frankenstein we created. To back away now, like some do, and not take responsibility is a reaction we can do without.
The fact of the matter is that all through history there has been movements that want to usurp and change government. To ignore established gov'ts is the wrong step.
Corynn will be having grandkids before I expect taxes to start decreasing. By then, I'll be dead. Stinkin' curses anyway!

Abigail said...

Thank goodness-someone rose to the irresistable bait of Silly Disaster Groo! To be honest, I was expecting a correcting comment about how Someone on this world can and did defeat the curse of death.

The similarity between the "curse" of taxes and that of death is the fact that all the sorry inhabitants of Groo-land can do nothin' 'bout neither, except for lovable, simple-minded Groo, of course, who inadvertantly causes terror, stampedes, and careless death by the edge of his swords just like always.

We, on the other hand, have hope in death and hope in taxes--hope that Christ, who holds the keys to death, will be faithful as He promised and hope that the IRS will give us back all that it took so we can buy a trailor in Nanticoke.

I don't have a problem with the concept of paying taxes, though I do have a problem with our money being used to promote abortions and fund birth control in third world countries, as well as servicing organizations in the States who are antithetical to truth. What's great, though, is our $$$ does neither! Whatever has been skimmed from John's paycheck is always sent back to us after April 15th. What a birthday gift!

You said, "The fact of the matter is that all through history there has been movements that want to usurp and change government. To ignore established gov'ts is the wrong step."
Do you think it's wrong to work to change this "Frankenstein," or am I completely misreading your last few statements?

Matt said...

Ya, I could have been a little more clear on that statement.
I agree with you, Abby, it is every citizens job, especially Christians, to reform gov't when it goes astray. What I was trying to emphasize is that there is a right way to reform. Usurptation is NOT the first step.


You said

'I was expecting a correcting comment about how Someone on this world can and did defeat the curse of death.'

I think the more accurate way to state the curse of death in respect to the atonement, is that Christ saves us from the sting of death. The curse of death is with everyone, hence we all die.

Abigail said...

So what's wrong with anarchy?

(kidding, sir, only kidding!)

In any case, even though it's all in good fun, the poem doesn't hold much theological water, because He mastered Death.

Sigh. I should know better. The next posted poem will laud Kitty, the supposed wife to end all wives...then there'll be nothing but resounding, masculine "hurrahs" from either direction.

Matt said...

I'm only a concerned friend. First you post pics of empty shoes, next clandestine posts on anarchism... Where's this trend headed?

I think it's high time yous twos (four actually) head on back to Nantychoke.

Abigail said...

"I think it's high time yous twos (four actually) head on back to Nantychoke."

At last, the kinship found in purest agreement! :)