4.29.2005

On the Beauty of Birds Wearing Hats and Fuzzi Bunz.

Standing in the center of hundreds of seagulls, strong winds forcing those hovering near our heads closer yet, I felt like the still eye of the storm. It aroused a strange wonder even while I knew we were prime territory for whitewashing.

Afterwards, Millie asked where birds go to, and in the middle of my explanation of migration patterns, she said, "Oh! Some birds fly to Florida in a plane?" Her only previous knowledge of Florida is that our neighbor Kristen sometimes flies there in a plane. Hence, if Kristen flies south and some birds fly south, they must fly as seatmates. (If A then B is equal to C then B, then A + 2 = K.7 The logic is irrefutable.)
________________________________________________________________

I stopped at a thrift store for the first time in months and bought 2 wonderful and frivolous hats. In my small way, I work toward that culture Matt writes about. (Plus, while spring cleaning, I discovered that 1/2 of my vintage hats in storage are smushed beyond repair.) To mend this impulsive purchase, I bought a few pairs of designer jeans to sell. My profit will exceed my expense. Yes, I'm counting skinny bidders before they hatch, but all I need is to lure girls to my auctions whose waists are each the size of a carrot.
________________________________________________________________

Yesterday, I again began using cloth diapers with Annika. She wiggles inside three layers and two pins. Oh, Fuzzi Bunz! If only you weren't so shockingly expensive. (I know the name is ridiculous, but my cousin Leah vouches for their superiority, and she can even talk about them without breaking into giggles.) Nothing, though, (even F.B'z.) equals dozens of old-fashioned, cloth diapers, white and sun-dappled, hanging on the clothesline. I'm a diaper purist--none of this primary color, no pins needed, waterproof, stylish, and miraculously absorbant Fuzzi Bunz bosh for me, thanks.
________________________________________________________________

And now that I've dedicated a whole paragraph to the glory of diapers (what is wrong with me?), I admit that I have nothing to write today, for the benefit of any who've read thus far waiting for something of import.
_______________________________________________________________

John finishes this semester in 1 week. Joy threatens to engulf!

My mind wouldn't rest last night. I tossed in bed until about 2 o'clock trying to decide, among other things, which class I would first like to audit when I'm 80--drawing, painting, sculpture, or a literature class. Any wisdom to offer? (Perhaps on the perils of drinking 12 oz. of cappuccino?)

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I watched the informational video clip on the Fuzzi Bunz - and I'm sold! Microfiber, Microfleece, Waterproof and Washable? Sign me up! I'm wondering if they come in large enough sizes, so that I could put them on down-foals. I may contact the company directly.

The Midterm looms and my house is getting progressively cleaner.

-Sags

Leah said...

Abby,

If you got your Fuzzi Bunz for the same price I did, you'd be in love with them, too!

By the way, I still use the old-fashioned ones once in awhile! ;)

Abigail said...

Sags,
If you're going to order some for ANIMALS, you'd better buy in bulk and send a few my way. (Reminded me of Nan and Phil putting disposable diapers on their goat Cuzco for the car ride to our house and then on to New England...a stroke of strange brilliance that kept their car nice and dry.)
Here's hopin' your brain comes through for you again! And, by the way, I'm thinking of hiring you for my house every semester around midterms/finals time. You do such an exceptional job when tests are waiting in the wings.

Leah,
I'm already in love with them, in spite of my attempts to convince myself otherwise! :) Annika goes through a few outfits every day, and I think longingly of those brightly colored mysteries. (I even posted on Freecycle for cloth diapers of any type, but no one responded.) At least the sun shines brightly and the clothes dry quickly!