1.10.2006

Better Homes, Gardens, and Babies.

Better Homes:
I've been getting Millie used to the idea of a move, telling her that our new house might have two bedrooms to prepare her for the eventuality of her and Annie not sleeping within arm's reach of John and I. Last night at supper, she told John that our new house is "maybe going to have five bedrooms....maybe ten bedrooms!" And I thought I was preparing her for reality...

Better Gardens:
Alas, no plans for a bigger and better garden. We've tentatively (but almost definitely) decided that we won't plant a garden this year because John will begin applying for jobs shortly, this house is for sale, and I don't want to anchor a bevy of green delights only to have to rip them asunder a few months later if we happen to move during the summer. (Now part of me wants to move, impossibly, in a week or two, so that I can plan the spring sowing.)

The following section will be even less interesting to non-mothers than the previous two. Sorry--I've a bit of baby on the brain.
____________________________________________________
Better Babies:
In a box brimming over with great gifts from my brother Pete and his wife Sarah was The Better Homes and Gardens Baby Book, published in 1951. Now all things baby-related will proceed without a hitch. (As you-- if you-- read, keep in mind that I hope to give birth at home when we have our own place and that it's important for me to keep birthing and baby-feeding as natural as possible, in whatever environment it occurs.)

#1. Opinion is divided as to the effects of smoking during pregnancy...If you're a heavy smoker, doctors advise that you cut down to a great extent, but you needn't quit entirely...[What a relief.]

#2. It's true that you're eating for your baby as well as yourself, yet you mustn't get fat....The up-to-date doctor therefore "weighs in" his patients when they come for their regular examinations, and in most cases insists that they don't gain more than 18 pounds. This means that without eating any more than you did before, you must include all the food elements your baby needs. (And I thought the current recommendation of a 25-35 pounds was a good goal.)

#3. A heading titled "You'll be Sylphlike Again." [There's HOPE!]

#4. Under a heading titled "Anesthetics or No Anesthetics"
Each doctor has many things to consider before he decides which anesthetic to give his patient. Remember that whatever your doctor decides to do, he does because it's best for you and your baby. When the time comes, just relax and do what he tells you....Even though your doctor wishes to give you an anesthetic during delivery, you should take advantage of a course on natural childbirth if your community offers one. [AHHHHHH!]

#5. After your arrival at the hospital, your husband may be told that it will be many hours before delivery. Your doctor or nurse may advise him to go back to the office or home and keep in touch with the hospital. Some hospitals permit the husband to remain with his wife during labor. This helps him feel he is participating in this important event. [Even though everybody knows he has nothing to do with it...] However, it isn't necessary for your husband to be there. You will be sleeping some of the time, and many doctors feel that you will relax more and rest better if your husband is not present. If your hospital doesn't allow your husband to be with you during the labor period, don't be upset about it. If his remaining at the hospital makes you and him feel better, he may stay in the waiting room provided for expectant fathers. [How thoughtful.]

#6.
A recipe for baby formula:
8 oz. evaporated milk
10 oz. water
1/2 tsp. 25% solution citric acid
2 Tablespoons CORN SYRUP [Mm. Corn syrup. Everybody knows the nutritional value of corn syrup.)

#7. Most doctors suggest that bowel training wait until the baby can sit up strongly, around 8 or 9 months, or later. [Millie and Annie were both pretty well trained by 20 months because they took to it so easily. Now I know that I need to begin potty-training much, much earlier. None of this 3-4 year old nonsense; all future children will be proficient potty-ers by six weeks.]

#8. A healthy, normal infant could probably tolerate strained foods in small amounts almost from birth...most doctors recommending them by the third month. With your doctor's consent, there's no harm in beginning earlier still to accustom Baby to new tastes and feeding methods. [I suppose the food God provides mothers to give to their babies is strained food...in a sense.]

THE END
_______________________________________________

Local weathermen recorded one lonely minute of sunshine during a ten-day stretch here in Buffalo.

Hurrah.

To conclude buoyantly, though abruptly, tomorrow's temperature is supposed to reach 50 degrees!

Hurrah!

2 comments :

Rebecca said...

Moving~Wow. I know that John is looking for jobs but I didn't put it together that you may be MOVING soon (even though I knew you would have to move)-and soon-whether before OR after Baby Berry comes will make it even more difficult. I can't decide which would be more difficult-having a heaping 'bowl full of berry' to maneuver around-or a newborn baby. Hmmmmmm. PLEASE PLEASE move close by. PLEASE?!?!

As for your garden-that is a sad thought. Perhaps you WILL be moved to get a late start. May after all-is a very long time away! IF not-herbs are definately a good idea. And you ave the windows for it!

Better Babies just had me cracked up. Ah yes. So much progress we've made. Still so very far to go.
#2~Well, I have surpassed THAT marker already!
#5~Yeah. Glad I was born when I was because I would have been one of those 'women liberators' in the delivery realm. No way NO HOW is Matt going to be away from me!
#7~OKay-the fact that Annika has conquered the hardest thing I have yet to rain really freaks me out. Corynn has done well in the past-then reverts back. I think you are not telling me bluntly all your secrets. THis week I am going to take Corynn on the hour every hour and see if that makes a difference. I was looking through my blog archives for a specific post and saw the picture I took of Corynn sitting on the potty for the first time. In JANUARY. That means I have been at this for a year-so I am most definately doing SOMETHING wrong!

Abigail said...

Hey, I never said that Annika had conquered the porcelain throne yet, merely that she was "pretty well trained." She's slipped back into infrequent success for the past week, and that's normal. The only time she's been desperate to get to the bathroom for the last few days has been after I've put her in bed for either naptime or bedtime--then and only then does she realize the urgency of it all. (Fishy, eh...)

I'm hoping she gets back into her groove soon, but occasional setbacks are only to be expected.

As far as a move goes, pray that a prison librarian or young adult librarian position appears nearby with bearded applicants preferred! Montana still tugs at John's heart, but we don't know a soul in Montana, let alone dear friends and relatives. I'm due in five weeks, so the chance of us moving before Baby Berry arrives is less than a flash in a pan....I think. Who knows where we'll end up? Maybe I should have a contest, with a grand prize of something I need to get rid of from storage.