1.06.2006


Remember this? I'm still hoping to have most of it finished by next summer, but, thus far, this picture shows all that I've accomplished. (Rebecca- it's going to be queen-sized with drop edges. Pretty foolish for a first quilting attempt, but, hey, I've got all year!)

It's not the creature-design and cutting, applique, or machine-piecing that I'm leery of, but the embellishments and hand-quilting of the top. I want to quilt swirls of wind in the bare spaces, add embroidered accents to the animals, and hand-piece some narrow strips of varying browns on the tree trunks to make bark. Right.... (And I'm now taking bets on how many summers will pass before I finish the summertime quilt.)

5 comments :

Unknown said...

That sparkly yellow looks suspiciously like something I bought at Wal-Mart last year with a couple friends, when we were making a quilt for a certain person's college dorm room...

I love the colors!

Anonymous said...

From my own experience I could say that how many summers it takes will depend on (1) what else you're trying to do at the same time, and (2), how picky you are about what you are doing.

You haven't been scared by my reporeted quilting times, have you??
I'm continually chastised (well, chastised might not be quite the right word, but still) for how small I make my stitches, which make me take longer. I'm also doing a lot of quilting (most people say it would be fine with half the amount), and I obsessively insist upon using 1/4 wide tape to make sure I'm always quilting prescisely the same amount from the edge. (Mrs. Morse has been quilting for years---and beautifully so--and has never done this.) So if you don't make things so difficult for yourself, it'll take you a lot less time.

(Great fabrics, by the way!)

Rebecca said...

Those are such vibrant colors-PERFECT for a summertime quilt! I just know this quilt is going to be just wonderful! (BTW-what are 'drop edges?'"

Abigail said...

I should have been clearer. Some quilts are overlays and don't extend ("drop" or drape) over the edges of the bed as much as others, and this one will have a (I think, without checking the measurements)a drop of about a foot and a half. Whenever it's finished...

Abigail said...

oops.

titi,
i don't think i'll be obsessive about my stitch perfection! after seeing your handiwork, i'm amazed not only at your talent, but by your boundless patience!

a.i.,
Yep, THAT particular fabric was picked up at the Store Which Shall not be Named. The fabric pile is a mixture of fabric from my mom's stash, fabric purchased from said store, and fabric purchased from Jo-Ann's. I'm still on the lookout for a few more shades, but I've got enough at this point to make a good start, I think.