12.19.2007

Bittersweet Symphony

Last night at three in the morning, the car alarm that has been turned off for a year and a half, the one held within John's car that hasn't started for a week and a half, suddenly awoke and wouldn't stop shouting. Using the electronic thingamajig didn't quiet it nor did turning it off manually. Finally, John had to the disconnect the car battery, the same battery that is too weak to start the car but is evidently just strong enough to give the alarm a thrill for an hour or two.

John's had to use the van, so I've been out of the house twice in two and a half weeks, to a party and to church, which were not on the same day, lest you think we party wildly at church. (That makes it sound like we partied wildly at the party, though, which also is not the case. It was a cookie and adoption party day, for Pete's sake!). Christmas shopping is undone, Christmas ingredients for baking are unpurchased, and, until John blessed me by going to the laundromat after work last night, laundry piles haunted my dreams.

Ebay auctions are going swimmingly, though, and today I drew a Christmas card! The root of Jesse, the lion lying down with the Lamb, O Adonai, and the Lion of the tribe of Judah all mixed together. It's not as straightforward as last year's, and I was about to give up on it, but I haven't doodled in a very long time. I needed the excuse. I don't have a way to scan it yet, and I don't know how I'm actually going to print out the cards, but I optimistically hope to send most of them out tomorrow. If you'd like a card but are unsure about whether or not I have your address (feel free to request a card even if we've never met), then please email me your mailing address at my Internet-sticky-business email: fridgefame at gmail dot com.




More to come another day.
Come what may.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

If you come down here, you can use our scanner, our printer, and even our mailbox.

Oh, wait, you can't go out. Drat.

Unless you had nothing better to do with your Saturday than to come down here. . .but that still wouldn't get it done by this Thursday.

I give up; you're too much of an optimist for me to figure out. How are you going to send the cards out? Tell me when you find out! ;)

Full of Grace said...

Abby,
Once again you have undone yourself with your card- Really you should consider doing freelance type work or something- Your artwork is so unique and beautiful!!!

Kate said...

I agree with Elizabeth about your artwork, it is beautiful and simple and meaningful. You could probably pick up a few dollars on the side if you decided to take to selling your wares. But, that's not quite the Christmas spirit of this card, eh?

joy said...

Titi,
I had a time of it. Story to come another day.

You other two, thanks!
They'll come in time for New Year's. :)

Abigail said...

Ha. That's me. Abigail Joy.

Griffen said...

Wow, I'm checking in after a LONG time, and I'm not sure there's enough hours in the day to make it over what I've missed, though your words are always well woven, and the girls... well, they're more than a feast too. Many many many congratulations on a new baby growing. Pole, as we say here, about your car, but it looks like your family, warm and well, are full of joy, and so... what's more to say? Here is to another year! And a Merry Christmas, daily.

Anonymous said...

Abigail, I was wondering if, being as you have three amazing children and one more on the way, you would be willing to share some of your baby knowledge with me.

We're starting to think more seriously about how to prepare our lives for this change, and while I know that the most important prep happens inside, we really feel at a loss for what 'stuff' we need. There's just so much out there that we think we don't need, its hard to weed through it all. We want to live simply, not with our space full of wipe-warmers and diaper genies.

What are some of the things you're so glad you have hard for the girls when they were infants? We're hoping to breastfeed and use cloth diapers, and will have the kid in our room with us (as its the only one :) ). I'd appreciate any/all thoughts you have - email me at rgr99 at mac dot com.
Peace!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Okay, time's up! You owe us all another post. You've got a 4 day grace period, and then. . .then. . .drat, I can't think of a suitably good threat. Maybe we'll all have to descend upon your house without warning, and we'll all get to see it sans housecleaning. That sounds pretty scary, doesn't it?

Abigail said...

Your threat worked. Enjoy the glut!