4.07.2011

A Stitch in Time Saves...Oh, I Dunno...Something

I can't be clever. I just need to finish posting this batch.

Millie wanted to make Annika a gift for her birthday. Actually, Millie wants to make everyone something for every occasion, but I usually don't rise to the occasion (read: I fail. Almost every time.). A couple of days before Annie's birthday, she'd decided upon a matching scarf and mitten set, which I thought was feasible, considering she'd be able to do most of it herself. When we asked my mom if she had any spare fleece kicking around, she brought us a remnant of psychedelic skull & crossbones fleece that she'd bought on clearance. The skulls weren't visible when she bought it, and when she discovered them, she didn't know what to do with it.

Serendipity!


Enter Mildred Elise. With only a bit of guidance, she made matching pirate capes and belts for Annie and Mr. Elephant, and then topped it all off with a brilliant plan for Beards.

'Cause capitol-B-Beards make everything better.

She was insufferably cute when she stayed up late to make them. (On the sewing machine, like an adult!) She put on airs and unconsciously talked differently, with what I assume is a Grown-up accent. It was great.

She scolded Smoky.



Smoky played the Sphinx and ignored her.




I was so empowered by actually doing something I should do all the time that when Susie wanted to make Annika some handkerchiefs the night before the birthday, I let her. (You know, handkerchiefs. To blow one's nose on. To stick in one's purse and take to church on Sunday. Something all pirates secretly desire but are too ashamed to request.)

She used the sewing machine for the first time, which alternately delighted and terrified her. Whenever her fingers moved uncomfortably near the needle, she'd drop her hands to her sides and let the stitching veer all over. Needless to say, she needed me nearby, even with my waning resolve and increasing inner crabbiness.



Millie had to oversee everything, as well, even the hand-stitching. Having a Grown-up for a daughter sure is handy.



Bless this Bird.

Handkerchiefs?

I love her!

And Annika seized the opportunity in the midst of all the making mess to finish the cat she started for Susannah's birthday. So fancy! It doesn't look much like a Watchcat, but Susie sleeps with it each night, regardless.

5 comments :

Unknown said...

Adore their creations!!!!

Griffen said...

O. My. Well, this gets Marmie of the year. Kids and sewing machines? I'm feeling guilty for the many MANY times I have told my kids they are too small for that. I guess maybe we could give it a try... maybe.

Full of Grace said...

Now THAT is CUTE!! HOw Awesome :)Samuel loves to pull the machine out and sew too- He made a dolly for Christiana which was subsequently adopted by Cassandra with a coordinating blanket, If i wasn't taking a blogging break I would post a pic :)

Rebecca said...

wonderful kitty. LOVE the tail.

I sometimes get a wee bit (ok, a lot) frustrated when the moment I pull out the machine during awake hours~ Corynn wants to do something herself. But looking at these pictures makes me think I don't have it so bad. After all~ it is just Corynn. I never thought about having a handful of children clamoring for stitching. Now THAT is something!

To go along with the topsecret birthday gift (sewing basket) for Corynn, I am getting her a sewing book that we will go through one project at a time. Maybe this one?
http://www.amazon.com/See-Sew-Sewing-Book-Children/dp/1584794917/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302721506&sr=8-3

Or this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Frances-Sewing-Adventures-Thimble-People/dp/1172558108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302721649&sr=8-1

Abigail said...

Yup. I rarely help with stitchery, though I should. And I rarely stitchery myself, though I would if I didn't do other things instead, like eat candy.

I love imagining adventures of the thimble people. The title alone is worth it!