8.15.2011

Retreat and a Half-hearted Surmise

I mentioned several posts back that we were pulling out of the driveway for a lakeside retreat, right? All expenses save gas were covered by the church, and we had a wonderful time worshiping together, sharing the Lord's Supper, singing psalms, splashing and boating in the lake, eating three greasy meals each day that we did not have to cook on dishes that we did not have to wash, acting extraordinarily silly late at night (one of my greatest talents), and enjoying the company of good people. Now we're back, and after deleting half a dozen blurry pictures, this is all I have left from the four super days we spent with friends old and new.




Surprisingly, given my blog title and the sheer glut of pictures I post, I remain conflicted about camera use to chronicle family members and the moments that one strings together to make a life. Of necessity, the photographer must step outside of the moment in order to capture it. Some may disagree with this, but I believe that one cannot be wholly present in a moment that one is capturing. There is an inevitable disconnect that occurs as one steps back to frame the shot, consider lighting, mood, and expression, and choose when to press the shutter. Even when the photographer has no awareness of the technical aspects of photography, there is that moment when they remove themselves from something in order to "capture" it. This consideration is less relevant when one is photographing landscapes, objects, or people and events not as immediate to oneself as, say, one's children on their lakeside retreat, but when one steps back to capture personal memories, I believe sometimes the gaining of the photograph comes at the expense of the true memory itself. This is why I find it easier to photograph the girls when they're playing and unaware of me than I do in activities of which I am a part. One example is swimming. I can't swim with them if I take pictures of them swimming, and I like swimming.

If the logic of that last brilliant sentence didn't convince you of the pitfalls inherent in today's technology, then nothing will.

The End.





I ran across this poem by Wendell Berry the other day. While not fully revealing the detriments of today's age of photographing EVERYTHING, or, to be sure, not giving a fair shake to the benefits of the ease at which we can now photograph EVERYTHING, it still gave me pause, and I think it's worth a read even if you disagree with the conclusion if only for Berry's use of spare poetics.

_____________________________________________

The Vacation

Once there was a man who filmed his vacation.

He went flying down the river in his boat

with his video camera to his eye, making

a moving picture of the moving river

upon which his sleek boat moved swiftly

toward the end of his vacation. He showed

his vacation to his camera, which pictured it,

preserving it forever: the river, the trees,

the sky, the light, the bow of his rushing boat

behind which he stood with his camera

preserving his vacation even as he was having it

so that after he had had it he would still

have it. It would be there. With a flick

of a switch, there it would be. But he

would not be in it. He would never be in it.

–Wendell Berry

___________________________________________________


And, so, here are the rest of the vacation pictures for which I was not present! :)






There were late-night folk songs, hymns, and spontaneous jigs accompanied by guitar-strumming Michael and an authentic Alabaman banjoist whose high melodies were a true pleasure to hear. Yes, we did sing "Oh! Susanna," and I fully appreciated that he had a banjo on his knee.






Brown-eyed girls.






Secrets for sharing.




Small beauties.




Early morning runs and hidden sunrises.






The modern marvel of whirling glowsticks.






and the ageless marvel of sleeping children.




4 comments :

Griffen said...

Yeah. I always find I have the fewest pictures (or none at all) of the things I'd most like to remember. But I was busy enjoying them, and so I suppose that is far preferable. I rarely have pictures of my friends here... as beautiful as their faces are - when is the right moment to whip out the camera? Fairly never. We're too entangled in actual interaction to untangle and step out of the moment. I find it unsavory.

The pictures you do have are gorgeous, as ever. You have an eye for shotsnaps.

Molly said...

Your photography talent draws me in and I want to be up on that porch singing with all of you! Beautiful! I'm so glad you and your family had such a wonderful time. Blessed memories, indeed.

Much love!

Rebecca said...

May I swipe that picture of pip and Adyay for our 'Wall of fame'? Two peas in a pod, are they.

Your thoughts on camera-ing are great and I think the same thing at times. But then, at other times I consider how much more 'in the moment' I become when behind a camera....how much more NOTICE I take, how much more actively I participate in the childrens' acheivements, etc.

The ebb and flow of life and our struggles and triumphs within it call us to step up or stand back as needed so it is possible to feel both ways at different times of life.

Sometimes it is good to put down the camera and be uninhibited in any way. And sometimes it feels great just to click away.

But as you have oft touted in real life and on this blog, you rarely bring the camera out at all when you are having a great time and most often only when you are alone and all is quiet. So, you are living out what you believe without even actually thinking about it. ;-)

I also wanted to tell you 'great post' about the now magically-disappeared post about the school system educating our children. Very thoughtful and deserves a Kudos. The (many p.s's were very thought-provoking, especially for me as I have considered those responsibilities before.

Anyway. I enjoyed your thoughts.

I always do. (When you let us in!) hehehe

Abigail said...

Steal away!

I think snapshotting is much like other uses of recreational technology. Overuse is nearly always detrimental, but that doesn't negate the benefits of balanced use.

I speak mostly for myself in the post, because I get tired of these types of technology sometimes.

And what post are you talking about? Weirdo. (The only benefit to subscribing to this blog is that google reader will never let deleted posts die. Rats.)