8.15.2011

We Grow Children, Too

The girls look maniacal here, when, in fact, they were...
okay, they were maniacal.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as a contest to trim the most green beans using razor sharp knives.




Unless, that is, you have the choice of lip-syncing to the operatics of Charlotte Church,





concentrating, then grimacing, and then concentrating anew,





or nipping a few bites on the sly.






After taking these pictures, I made pickles while they finished. What a boon it is to have older children willing to help.








Oh. Because I have no idea where to place it, here is Mildred with an armful of kale. She's a kale-lover. (Can't you tell?)




5 comments :

Farmgirl said...

I love this. I want to come tend gardens with you and your beautiful girls- we seem to be fashioning similar worlds for our children, and that is just neat to me. And KALE... kale chips. Kale pizza. Kale-pecorino-pasta. Mildred, you are a wise girl.

Abigail said...

That's be great;I'd love to visit with you all if you ever passed through, for sure!

I've thought the same thing about you and your boys as I read, except that you have a REAL farm and barns that are actually barns instead of dilapidated sadness--barns that, in fact, house ANIMALS instead of decades worth of odds and ends.

Our garden, thankfully, is the genuine article, though, so I'm not a total failure. Three cheers for kale! Your ideas sound scrumptious. I'm totally stealing them.

Rebecca said...

Kale is one of my garden laments.

Along with onions that never got in.

And asparagus.

And garlic.

And potatoes.

It occurred to me the other day, I am pretty good at planting fun stuff like beets and peppers (THAT DON'T GROW!) but I need to do a MUCH better job of growing sustainable foods. Like the staples above.

Olive Garden has a MOST delicious soup using Kale and they post their recipes online. FYI. ;-)Of course, all health benefits will be negated by vast amounts of butter.

Abigail said...

My laments have to do with my herb garden. I've only got seven herbs, and some I didn't even plant enough of (hello, cilantro) to freeze for winter! Bah.

Thanks for the Olive Garden tip. I'll have to check it out.

Abigail said...

(That should read seven "varieties" of herbs. Thankfully, I planted more than one plant of each variety.)