8.15.2011

A Row of Ribbons

While John was at work, the girls and I went the county fair before the free gate closed, and we immediately rushed to the exhibitor's building to see how many ribbons we won. This is important for much greater reasons than mere self-worth and vanity. Each blue and red ribbon we win translates into MONEY, which, in turn, translates into ELEPHANT EARS and TAFFY and a FERRIS WHEEL RIDE at the state fair come September. (This year, the ribbons also translated into a pair of cherry red heels on clearance for a foolish mama, but that's neither here nor there.)

I have a few gripes with the exhibits, mostly the fact that there aren't many classes in which children can enter and that the only two sections in the photography class are "color" and "black and white," but it's still a fun whirl every summer. And, as I've mentioned, the elephant ears and taffy are dependent on those ribbons.

I only lasted about three hours. The bigger girls could have chugged along, but Luci and Pip and Abigail were becoming cranky, and since we had already shared our elephant ear










while watching the miniature horse pull,



after hand-picking sixteen 8-inch long sticks of taffy (You read that right. Sixteen sticks. So what? The unsurpassed taffy of Fowler's is a treasured tradition from my childhood, and I ate four the first day)...

and watching barrel-racing and walking the midway six times and turning down the carnies who thought we were a traveling daycare and looking at the chicks and the roosters and the bunnies and the cows and the goats and choosing which rides we'd hop on if we'd won twenty times as many ribbons and scoring a free bottle of water from a kind woman and seeing a flood of hundreds of youthful, yarmulke-decked heads illogically descend on the most red-necked of bumpkin fairs and bumping into my brother and his family and using the restroom with its bowl of candy for generous tippers at the door,

it was time to go.


I didn't plan this, but Piper's dress has taffy on it. Perfection.




I include the obligatory stairstep picture of fair-going girls, but that's all I've got. Sorry, but lugging both a baby and a camera around is tiring.





6 comments :

Rebecca said...

That last stairstep pictures is exactly what I have always hoped for/envisioned before I got alternate children. Of course, I wouldn't trade 'em for the world, but I did always hope to have a passle of girls and then a passle of boys.

We are looking forward to the fair this coming week, though I decided against putting anything IN it, since that would require dropping off AND picking up and frankly, too much gas money. I do hope next year we will be more able to. I think contributing would be great fun.

And seeing those cheery red heels on Sunday (I presume) and that delicious looking elephant ear (oh, how i love fried food), I would say YOUR contributions must have been phenomenal! Congrats!

Michelle P said...

Yes, I would like to know...what were the prize winning goodies?! Do tell?!
Also, do you have marinade recipe for spiedies? I noticed you said you made some the other day.
And, I just noticed that stove in the background of the green bean pictures...wow! classy old thing. does the oven work? I'm curious. :)

Abigail said...

Michelle,
The marinade is on buildabelly. Just type "spiedie" in the search bar at the top, and it should pop right up.

As far as fair entries go, they were pretty standard.

I won ribbons for photography, a drawing, Pip's felt food from her birthday, a few things from the garden (the only things that were currently producing!), antiques from around the house, and canned goods.

Millie entered a beaded bracelet (red ribbon), Annie entered a sewn elephant (red ribbon), and Su entered a watercolor (white ribbon).

After subtracting entrance fees and the cost of developing photography, we made around $40, which is nothing to sneeze at.

(Achoo.)

Abigail said...

p.s.

Rebecca,
You could always enter in this fair! I could even pick up your entries for you at the end to save you a trip. To the death! :)

Abigail said...

Oh, yeah. The stove DOES work, 'cause it's powered by wood. It was given to us by our good friends (and relatives!) when they had to move from the family farm.

There's a small possibility of us getting a metal lining for the chimney (expensive as sin) before winter, though, so that it could be used without fear of another chimney fire. (When my aunt lived here, they had one, and my Dad worries a lot...)

And THAT is more than you wanted to know. Anytime. No need to thank me.

Art Teacher said...

Love the boots, love the stair steps picture, love the taffy dress, love everything!