9.18.2019

A Big Hullaballoo: Closet Bedroom, Redux, Part 3


In the month of July, key developments occurred in not just one closet bedroom, but TWO.

For starters, after I spent a couple of months searching for a cheap captain's bed within driving range, John's mom found one for us at a resale shop nearby. Annie had been hoping for a natural look instead of black pressboard or the like, and this fulfilled her expectations to the letter. And then Grandma and Grandpa Owen refused to let us pay for it. Believe me, I tried! I lose every single, stinking time.

Not too sorry a loss, though, eh? Look at that bed. Ahhhhhh.




Look! Drawers!




I told Annika I could make a headboard or bracket shelf for over her bed, and when she showed her room to Aunt Debbie, she excitedly told her that we'd even talked about someday putting in a window so she wouldn't shrivel away without the sight of light and green. A window! If it did happen, though, it wasn't going to be until at least next summer, after I saved some money and figured out how to chop a hole in the side of our house.






Debbie called me the next morning. She'd talked things over with Rundy when she'd arrived home, and he had all the tools because he'd done it before, and would it be okay for him to come the following Saturday to chop a hole in the side of our house?
I thought about it loooooong and hard.






No, I didn't, you sillies! I SAID YES RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!


Six days later, on a blisteringly hot day, Rundy arrived and got to work. Isn't that the most beautiful thing you've ever seen? It was to Annika and I!








We left for an air-conditioned baby shower that afternoon, and when we returned, Rundy had installed Annika's window. (I took this picture the next day after we moved her bed back into place, so you can't see the whole window, but it's a beauty.)






Not only that, but he ALSO cut a hole in Millie's closet bedroom so that she, too, could enjoy the taste of fresh air!






When I tried to pay him for the windows, he turned me down. An anonymous donar (it took me one day to figure out that it was my very own mother!)  had offered to pay for the windows. The 8 hours of labor that resulted in 2 windows, but, thankfully, not heat stroke, he also offered to us as a gift.

I was and am still so overwhelmed by Mom and Rundy's generosity that I have yet to make either of them a thank you card. Seriously, how big of a thank you card can equal windows?! I'm thinking on it...


Then Dude moved in for the day, began the framing, and patched up all the drywall.









 Annika's closet suddenly grew a whole lot bigger! (Guess who else still hasn't received a thank you note.)

And that's the end for the month of July.
Stay tuned for more of this exciting, interminable adventure series!!!!!!!



No comments :