9.07.2013

I Want to Bore You

...to tears, if I can.


I took these snapshots a few weeks back, and I offer them up, thanks to compulsive posting urges.  (MUST- CATCH- UP!)

Ye Olde Garden-- again.





Slicing and pickling cukes (now on their way out); Delicata squashes; butternut; lettuce (companion planted in the corn's shade):




Sugar snap peas (now bent over the fence because they grew so high); broccoli (now mostly gobbled); kale (much larger); potatoes; beans; onions; tomatoes; jalapenos; poblano; eggplant (poor, sorry, flooded eggplant); brussel sprouts; and to the right of the pea fence: zucchini; gentry squash; rutabaga (nearly killed by the winter squash); radishes; atomic red carrots (what a great name, huh?); spaghetti squash; acorn; sweet peppers; beets; whatever I'm forgetting; and CHILDREN (our crop of children has grown especially nicely this summer):




Ooh, look at those children, just ripe for the pickin'.




It didn't take Zeke long to discover that nearly everything inside that fence was edible.  





Mmmm.





He didn't like getting lost in the corn thicket, though.





I stripped the tomato plants of blighted stems and leaves two separate times before giving up, so the plants look...erm...a bit less green at this point.  (To gardeners: I know I'm supposed to be merciless, tear the plants up, and burn them at the first sign of blight, but we've got it in the soil, so my only goal is to coax some tomatoes out of the plants before they give up the ghost.)





The corn is taller now and almost finished.  We've eaten nearly 100 ears from those three little rows, so it served us well.  Thank you, corn.






Annika's camouflage could use some improvement, huh?




4 comments :

Titi said...

I was blighted this year, too. It makes one wonder if I'll ever be able to grow tomatoes again, which is such a horrible though I can't bear to think it.

Molly said...

Both of my neighbors had terrible luck with their tomatoes this year, unlike last year where the crop was in abundance. What type of corn do you grow, Abigail? I always wanted to grow corn ever since I visited a university ag farm that gave away samples of a sweet corn called, Silver Queen. It was delicious even uncooked. I am rooting for the pumpkins!!! How is Big Max coming along?

Much love!

Rebecca said...

GORGEOUS garden.

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS broccoli!

Abigail said...

Titi,
It seems like nearly everyone in the area who doesn't use fungicide gets blighted. BOO! to that.

Molly,
We plant Silver Queen, too! It's such a sweet, light corn. We planted an earlier corn this year because I got the seeds in the ground later, but I can't recall the kind right now.

Rebecca,
I think I stole your giant broccoli from last year. Watch out. After enjoying your superheroic melons, I've got my eye on them for next year! (Don't I WISH I could grow melons that sweet and enormous! Here's hoping.)