10.04.2006

Blip.

Looking for a new way of roasting butternut squash, I was just thumbing through this cookbook, which has leapt to the top of my favorite cookbooks, and I read the following excerpt. What a hope this man had, and with what graciousness God allowed him to work by the side of his children's children.
____________________________________________________

I am immensely grateful to be part of an intergenerational family farm on which we grow grain, bison, sour cherries, vegetables, rainbow trout, and children. I include children because we are not agribusiness people but rather agriculturalists. And this piece of land along the South Saskatchewan River holds a piece of our identity. We love our children, and we also love this land.

One autumn evening three generations of my family were planting cherry trees. The air was deliciously warm, with a spectacular harvest sunset in the western sky. A great blue heron came soaring lazily over us, gracing us with his presence. A beautiful evening-- hands in the earth, working together, children running about.

I glanced over at my dad and saw tears on his weather-worn face.

"Daddy, what?" I asked.

"This," he said, sweeping the vista, "this is what I have hoped for."

- Eileen Klassen Hamm, Saskatoon, Sask.
____________________________________________________

Thank you, Heidi, for this wonderful book.

6 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

i am so, so glad that you are enjoying it.

Leah said...

Abby,

You have this cookbook?!?! I've been eyeing this cookbook for months!!! My sister bought a copy this summer after I pointed it out to her at her local bulk food store. Oh I can't wait to come over and look through it a little more thoroughly! ;) Yes, I did just invite myself over. :)

Abigail said...

Cousin-friends are welcome at any time, formal invitation or no formal invitation!

Anonymous said...

yes, indeed. gotta love those mennos. i highly recommend the dilly bean and potato soup (winter, i think)...

Abigail said...

You Mennonites aren't content with only your brains and beauty. Oh, no, you've got to have the corner on cooking, too!

It is such a great cookbook, and I'll surely try the soup on your recommendation.

Anonymous said...

Glad you like the Simply in Season cookbook. We now have two new resources related to the cookbook. A study guide designed so people can use the cookbook as a Sunday School or small group study as well as a Simply in Season Children's Cookbook, aimed at 6-12 year olds. Check them out at http://www.mccstore.org

Thanks

Larry Guengerich