3.16.2007

Birthday Be Late (d)

John's parents are wonderful people, and I love visiting with them whenever and wherever we can. They drove up the weekend before Susannah's birthday for a pre-birthday celebration, and we had a grand time. John's mom has got to be the world's best mom-in-law, and I'm not just saying that because she spoils us so. She and Dude have enormous hearts and are kind to shower us with gifts (and fill our freezer full of meat and take us out to eat!), but it's the love behind those gifts that makes them so special. The girls soaked up every drop of that love while they were here and stored it up until the next time.

They threw Susannah a Fake Birthday Party the Saturday before her birthday, but the pictures of that party are inside a Long Island camera, so here are a few of the girls basking in the last minute-bits before they drove home.


Even Susannah wanted Grandma to read her a book.



Poor Susannah. She missed out on the airplane rides Grandpa gave, too. Then again, she did get her very own party.... and cake.


On her actual day of birth, John, the girls and I celebrated again, and Susannah got her second try at cake. She's getting to be quite the pro. I made her a nest and bird cake, but, unfortunately, the perky bird I made flopped and sagged, so I had to turn it into a sleeping bird. And the tail feathers fell off. And I didn't make enough frosting to cover the back. You know what, though? Susannah couldn't have cared less. See below.













5 comments :

Rebecca said...

Love the cake-and the doll eating it up! That last picture, Susannah has a very Annika-like expression. They are sisters, ya know.

BTW-the other day I was fretting over what type of cake to make for the Panda. He is so little that he has no real interests-nor can he request a cake...so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. And then it occurred to me...a panda cake would do quite nicely!

There are definately good things that come with having children named like animals! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Funny how I didn't recognize the bib at first!

Liana said...

What sweet pictures!

Griffen said...

The cake was so lovely. Was that spagetti sticking out of the nest.

Her face in the last one is perfect.

Abigail said...

Titi, the ingenious bib-shirt (and the sister bib-shirts you sewed and gave along with it) is quickly becoming indispensible, and I find it all too easy to forget what the epicurean life of babies was like without. Thank you again! (I can't wait until she eats oatmeal on her own; then, if possible, I'll like them even more!)

Sandy,
Heavens, no, that isn't spaghetti!!!!
It's straw, of course.