3.16.2007

Discovery Center

Susannah was sick. John told me to go have fun with Millie and Annie at the Discovery Center while he played nurse at home for the day. We were excited, we went, and I charged the batteries. Most pictures feature Annie because Millie was wound too tightly for anything but springing off in all directions.

Doctor Mildred.


I laughed when she put this x-ray up and proceeded to tell me (her patient), "Okay, now. This is your head right here..." I didn't know how to break the somber news to my readers that I have scoliosis of the head, but I suppose this way is as good as any.


Millie weighed Annie at the doctor's office. Annie anxiously awaited the results.



I weigh how much?!?


Annie wanted me to mail her, so I did. She'll be arriving at a lucky reader's mailbox any day now.


They played the piano with Berlioz and his band. (I again wore the Berlioz Bear costume.)




Millie drove the firetruck and flashed the lights while Annie made faces from the back.



They spent some time with crayons and chalk.








We watched fish swim lazily.



Annika double-tasking. She doesn't need a root canal, and she's very happy about that.




I love all of their permanent (I hope) exhibits based on Jan Brett's books. Here's Troll One.



And here's Troll Two.



Millie loved the room with dinosaurs, bird's nests, shells, animal skeletons, and a giant hollow tree. She took her archeological dig very seriously.




We came back to the grocery store section three times after this.
My girls like food.

I told you they like food.




Annie's learned well from my example. At this point, her cart only contained ice cream, cool whip, and laundry detergent. (Ice cream and laundromats-- they're the most important parts of life, I guess.)




Millie kept telling this woman, "You need to brush your teeth more," but, honestly, the lady just didn't seem to care.



Chef Millie served me up feast after feast from her quaint restaurant.



And there was lots more, but I got tired of taking pictures. Don't fret. Grandma Owen gave the girls a season pass, and there are still five and a half months left in the season.

6 comments :

Rebecca said...

What a FANTASTIC gift that was! Perfect! You are gonna have lots of fun there-I can't believe all the things they have available for kids to do!

Believe it or not, I really like those paintpail stools...they are kinda neat!

Ps-I hope we are the lucky recipients to get a nixie in a pixie package! We would love her so!

sarah said...

it seems amazingly empty! and I would like to get that little girl in the mail, I live so very far from all Fabigail girls!

Liana said...

Where is this place? It looks WONDERFUL...and as if you were the only ones there!

Griffen said...

Is this in Ithaca? I guess there's one in Rochester, too, but we've only heard myth of it, and never been. By the looks of these photos, we must pay a visit.

I love Jan Brett.

Abigail said...

I should probably hold a drawing to see who gets a Nixie-in-the-Box, huh?

The Discovery Center is in Binghamton, right next to Ross Park Zoo. On Saturday morning when we arrived, there weren't too many children there, though there were probably kids clinging on the borders of each one of these frames. By the time we left at 2:00, it was a madhouse. A MADHOUSE, I tell you! My ears are still ringing.

(And, Sandy, this is kind of a sister-center to those in Ithaca and Rochester. Our pass to this one would also allow us admittance to the others, though we've not taken advantage of that yet.)

heidiann(e) said...

WOWEEE!

YEEHAW!

what more can i say.