3.16.2007

Snow Day the First

The first deep snow in which the girls played for a great length of time froze them to the bone. It was about 6 degrees, and the windchill brought the temps. to below zero, but Millie was so fearful of that day being their last chance that I brought them out. Susannah and I were numb in about ten minutes, but Millie and Annika, though just as numb, played for another 45 minutes before I brought them inside for hot chocolate. When I see ice blocks securing bare skin to wrist-sleeves, I know it's time.

Millie likes to munch that ice once she's indoors...


So does Annika.


Unlike Millie, though, Annika complains about the cold of it in between munches.


Susannah's reaction to her first taste of snow was doubtful.



Her second wasn't much better.


But she had fun, anyway, for the ten minutes of sub-zero, frostbite danger I let her wallow in.



Millie used her almost-hour wisely, by shoveling snow.



Weighing the pros and cons of giant misdeeds (look carefully at her arm bundle and tell me she's not thinking of doing something naughty).



Our window was spared (by her, at least; she decided to wait for my knee to do the dirty work), and she went excavating and mountain-climbing with her tuzzins who gleefully joined them for a bit.


The clothesline served as climbing rope.


Annie played, too. Here is proof.








She also became mired in snow before we went in. This is her requesting help in the most mournful tones imaginable. She now tells me, perhaps due to this formative day, "Me not wike a [s]now's wunch [crunch]," and Millie has to hold hands with her as they walk through any deep drifts.



4 comments :

Rebecca said...

I look forward to the days of GREEN pictures...I have had enough of this white stuff!!!

Besides, after Corynn BEGS and BEGS us to go outside, when we come in and the warm air melding with the cold of her hand starts its burning effect, she always cries. I hate that. First I suffer through getting the kids' snow duds on...then being OUTSIDE freezing my patooti off, THEN I have to listen to them cry because their skin is burning! ARGH.

Okay. The bad mama is gone now. Sorry....

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Snowsannah is so totally a natural...

Abigail said...

R.,
If it makes you feel better, I've only taken them out a few times, and they've cried from the burn, too. I like winter, but sometimes you just can't win.

J.O.B.,
Snowsannah. I like it. How long have you had that one up your sleeve?

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Susannah is my niece, Gracie's, middle name...

named after Susannah Wesley.