3.25.2008

Eewww. Gross.

I'm pretty disappointed with my placenta. I could write a dozen posts on why natural births are important to me-- don't worry, I won't-- but it looks like a c-section might be inevitable. My placenta hasn't moved, and because it's a jealous, territorial thing, it's also stretched blood vessels across the part of the cervix it doesn't cover and anchored itself as low as possible. So, a home birth is definitely out at this point; I had my last phone conversation with the equally disappointed but still very helpful home birth midwife, and I get to meet new people next week. My hospital midwife referred me for a Level II ultrasound to assess the placenta's placement as accurately as possible and to look at my amniotic fluid levels, which, though slightly elevated since last time, are still low enough for concern, and then I have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon (from another practice) who delivered my twin nieces via c-section. There's nothing obvious that is causing the low amniotic fluid level, so I might have to go in for blood testing, too, to rule out viral issues.

I will be very happy if the Lord chooses to perform the unexpected, but I'm also trying to inform myself of all that surrounds c-sections so that we and Buster can have as normal a "birth" and bonding experience as possible, though I'll be more of a passive observer for the birth part, as well as a c-section as optimal as possible for future natural delivery, Lord willing.

God is good. Thanks to those of you who've been thinking of and praying for me and the ol' pl_ _ _ _ _ _ and who continue to do so. I appreciate it!

And to end this dull post on a shining note, heeeeere's Buster again! We love this baby and look forward to holding him or her whatever the route to us may be.




5 comments :

Michelle said...

Rats. I was praying it would move. Oh, well. I can pray more, right? ;)

I love the second u/s photo. I love to see the "head on" photos of the wee ones.

Rebecca said...

Whatever means is necessary to hold your wee one in your arms is a GLORIOUS one, so long as it allows for what is needed to happen. That means whether at home or hospital, whether by slit or push. Whatever the path, is the path that the Lord has prepared for you. I know you know this. I respect your desire to homebirth and I equally (maybe more so) respect you putting that desire on hold for the safety of your baby. Your willingness to do what is necessary and to utilize the progress that God has allowed to take place while not feeling guilty or slighted is something to look up to.

I know that you had your heart set on a homebirth and I am so sorry it may not be. Perhaps you'll have one yet. If not with this pregnancy, who knows. But moreso, I am EVER THANKFUL that Baby Buster is showing some pity on your placenta and isn't kicking it to high heaven, that we live in a time when placenta previa is not life-threatening to mother or babe, that you are well and Buster is growing, and that the hope of his/her arrival will soon be hope no longer, but actuality.

Yay for Baby Buster and YAY for you, Abby!

Always in our prayers...

heidiann(e) said...

sending you all love and prayers, too.

Full of Grace said...

It was Wonderful talking to you the other day! I am deeply sorry about your placenta issues, In a few weeks I will find out myself the "verdict" of whether I must have a C-Section. I will be upholding you and baby buster in prayer, for not only the placenta, but the pending testing for the amniotic fluid!

In an "aside" your side profile of buster reminded me just of YOU! I have a feeling he or she is going to look alot like mama :)

Abigail said...

Thank you girls for your empathy, love, and continued prayer for a safe arrival of Buster.

And, Elizabeth, I thought the same thing! I think it's because Buster looks like he or she is making a flawless Chinless Wonder face. At long last, I've got a protege!