3.26.2008

Wisdom Just for You


Millie likes these holiday shoots as little as I do, so I told her we'd skip solo pictures of her if she didn't want me to take any. She wanted "a few" taken, but I only took the one before Annika's shrieks made us both jump up. Susannah had fallen down while playing, and the side of her head was covered with blood that continued to spurt down onto her belly while she screamed. Moms, here's your warning...BEWARE THE BARRETTE.
Innocuous, yes. Deadly, YES.



I ran over to Becky's (it's so convenient to have a calm sister next door), and she helped me corral the older girls in the living room while we washed off Susannah's head. She's fine. She has a nasty gash on her head but nothing requiring stitches, and Millie told me, in all seriousness, that she wished Susannah's hair was really that pretty color. (Before I washed her up, Susannah's matted hair was a classy shade of blood-maroon.)


Here ends the tale. Take heed of these two truths. Only let your daughters wear metal clips while they're wearing straight jackets! And posed pictures are evil!

5 comments :

Michelle said...

As a mama of boys, I am well acquainted with head wounds. :) They do bleed like crazy, don't they? The cut never seems as bad as all that blood!

I will keep the evil barrettes (and posed photos!)in mind with Rachel...

Liana said...

I'm glad Millie notices the beauty of the color of blood, despite her sister being hurt, LOL

Rebecca said...

YOUCH!

heidiann(e) said...

okay, i just need to comment on the strait-jacket thing....

A while back Grace figured out how to put her hands in her pockets. She has fallen on her face SO often since, unable to get her hands out to catch herself. Now i remind her ominously, as if pockets are the instant short-cut to bloody lips and bruised foreheads.

So, maybe metal barrettes are okay combined with strait-jackets (and pockets), if you also have then duct-taped to a solid chair.

Abigail said...

Michelle,
I KNOW! The blood spurts so much you can't even see the wound. I advise you just to shave Rachel's head. Who has no hair needs no hair barrettes...

Heidi,
Man, I completely misspelled strait-jacket, didn't I. I was thinking of the strait-jackets that bind the feet with a strap that then attaches to the behind-the-back wrists. You know, the ones where one lies on one's belly, usually with a mouth gag, too. Full body safety.

In retrospect, though, that seems like an extreme measure to take. It might be wiser-- and kinder-- for me just to ban the barrettes.