6.13.2008

Unpoetic Prelude

I could be, should be, would be in bed, but for a little Bright Eyes who likes to peer around and squeak this time of night. Thank you all so much for your prayers throughout this pregnancy, for your kindness during it, and for your rejoicing with us on the safe appearance of Piper in the Great Big World. We are glad our thanksgiving and joy finds a counterpart in this space!

I've exchanged snapshot-ing for gardening of late, and after much scowling, lots of sweat, muttered grumbling, and absolutely no romantic odes to green and growing in the 90-odd degree sun, I finished late this afternoon. It's three weeks late, but, hey, a baby's better than a timely sown garden any day...

Oh, yes, that baby!
Here's the sweetest thing we grow around these parts.

8 comments :

Sarah said...

I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT; I talking about your blog, your pictures and your 4th baby. Art reflects life or becomes life or is life in your case.

w. said...

oh, abigail, i'm glad to hear you're in your garden again. i left town for a week, and am now dealing with the aftermath in the good struggle of weed vs desired plant.

sharon said...

Welcome Home PIPER!!!!!!

A little late, but fully felt, yelled from the rooftops here in South Carolina!

She's beautiful!!!!

Rebecca said...

At least you can HAVE one! AGAIN-second year in a ROW that I can't garden. It is seriously killing me. A little bit dies inside me as the summer months pass without fresh garden goodness and opprotunities to squirrel a reserve away into little glass jars.

Boo hoo. I might consider doing a two month late garden toward the end of july. Could ANYTHING be grown in that short a time, I wonder?

Abigail said...

Winona,
Hurrah! I feel much more cheerful about my garden now that it's sown and the heat has abated. If we lived closer, I'd lend you a weed-yanking hand (or two, or ten).

Rebecca,
Greens would work! Plant lettuce in mid-August for fall, Swiss chard, spinach, turnips, radishes, rutabaga, green beans, and beets can all be direct sown in July (mid-July would be best, but even in late July), parsnips can be sown in fall for a spring harvest, and summer squash, zucchini, and cucumbers could be started indoors two weeks before you need to transplant so they don't get too gangly, broccoli (start it now and transplant), and cabbage (start now). You could also set aside some potatoes now to start sprouting and plant them when you get to wherever you get to. And, of course, you can take a potted tomato plant or three on the road, too! Ooh! And I just found this article, to give more...

Abigail said...

p.s.
Sarah and Sharon,
Thanks for the blog and baby support.

She is a work of art.

Rebecca said...

Wow! Thanks! That makes me feel a little bit better. Maybe I can work a few things out after all.

Thanks for the article too. I always know I can count on you to know the answers to my questions! :-)

Abigail said...

Hey, my list for you was missing 4 or 5 of these vegetables until I called my mom! :)

She's the fail-safe Answer Lady.