3.03.2009

We've been Due for One

Both Millie and Annika walk somewhere between the poof of girliness and the romp and tumble of tomboys, although Annie falls more on the sword-swinging-pirate side of the line. Millie's heart's wish is to someday be a "Big Mama" and a ballerina. I am glad of this, but neither one of them strikes me as the quintessential girly girl. I wasn't one growing up (and how!), but I know the kind.



Enter the third. As much as Susannah loves bugs and caterpillars, I think she may be our girly girl. She hates to have dirty hands, she oozes melodrama, she sometimes talks in an affected simper when she thinks she's especially fancy, and, most damning, she wanted a princess cake for her birthday. I tried to convince her to choose differently. Anything but a princess would have suited me-- a ladybug, a box elder bug, a cat, a purse, a giraffe, Raggedy Dan, you name it-- but she would have none of it.

To all of my desperate suggestions, she calmly replied, "No, I want a pwincess cake." I finally succumbed because a month ago, I'd at least worked her down to a pwincess cake from her original desire-- a fairy on a horse.

Let it be known that I have nothing against princesses. My girls pretend they're princesses all the time, and I show genuine goodwill toward all the princesses (princessi?) I run across in my travels. I found the thought of making a pwincess cake intimidating, though.

The party was at noon, and I started decorating the cake that morning with no idea of how I could make it. Ribbons, buttons, a glue gun, and fabric saved me from making a complete wreck.


I had fun making it, but, in retrospect, I think she looks a bit scary.

My two favorite parts are the bees on her skirt and the bird charm on her necklace. Becky brought them over while I was up to my elbows in frosting and food coloring. I wanted to steal them forever.




Yup. SCARY!

9 comments :

Griffen said...

Not scary. Officially: amazing. She could have paired with Griff's dragon cake last week and then all we'd need is a knight. The dragon cake, however, was a pathetic display...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Pwincess cake! You continue to amaze me. I don't believe there is ANYTHING you CANNOT do or create. I am in awe, my long distance friend!

Unknown said...

I've never tried cake decorating like you do...I'm amazed even if you think it looks scary! I love it! The most my boys get is a shakily written "happy birthday (name) and an age" with candles. Hooray!

alltheposts said...

Ella wanted a princess cake for her 3rd birthday too. I chickened out and did the castle cake instead. I think you're so brave YOU may be the knight! On guard!!

Michelle said...

Abby, that is an awesome cake! If you want to see scary, I will show you a photo of Matthew's gingerbreadman cake from last year. Yeeeshh...

Abigail said...

People who like the cake, thank you!

And she WAS scary. Not only did she defeat the knight, but she ate the dragon.

Look at those evil eyes.

Rebecca said...

wow you put my coffin princess to shame!

I'll just pretend it was because I didn't have an oven....and not because I am so utterly untalented in the cake making department.

PS. Non edible accessories?!? GENIUS!!!

sarah said...

I love it, too...and my only girl, a very girly girl, loves the cake so much she says she wants to "keep it."

Abigail said...

Rebecca,
I remember being amazed at that no-bake princess. I wouldn't have even tried without an oven! And I had to fish one of those non-edible accessories out of Audra's frosting before she popped it in her mouth. Maybe not quite so genius... :)

Sarah,
We'll trade you. The scary princess for one of your gingerbread palaces?