9.17.2011

A Trip to Bridge's Bane



I haven't bragged about my little sister in a while. She could give Mary Poppins a run for her money in the Practically Perfect department. In addition to luring children to her like the Pied Piper lured rats (great picture, eh?), she recently graduated as co-valedictorian from my alma mater and, in a floundering local economy, was just hired for her first teaching job. (Those who knew me at Houghton, keep your traps shut about how greatly improved a Johnson model she is over me. I, however, am much better at roller-skating while fully-costumed into swimming pools than she is or ever will be. So there!)


A few weeks ago, we went to visit her at her new apartment, and she showed us around her charming new town. We drove to a produce farm-market and saw bacon! (Um. I mean pigs...) I posed in front of the bacon-pigs, but until I can get a picture in the same spot wearing grubby clothes, I can't use it for Frugal Fancypants. (More's the pity.)








We attempted a family, papa-less portrait in front of the pigs, to the great amusement of locals who must have thought we were City Folk.






Also, we ogled goats.


And we ran from goats. (I include this picture of my mullet-headed child because I love her. Plus, she's wearing a dress I wore when I was a baby, which requires documentation.)





Goats!

Looking coy...



Chatting about the weather...




Proudly showing off the beard...




Suffering my children's company...



Let's not forget the bacon.

They were the feistiest, most hyper pigs I've ever seen. So funny.







We drooled on their peaches, but for $20 a bushel, we weren't interested.




Instead, we bought a bushel of bruised and battered peaches for six dollars. Yeah! They were smushed, and some were moldy, but we have chickens who love moldy fruit. This is the first time in four years that I've found cheap peach seconds, so I was beyond thrilled. Finally, peach pie and peach jam and spiced peach syrup again!

Debbie, in a stroke of Practically Perfect genius, topped off our visit with a stop at the ice cream shop where she treated us to enormous cones.




Thank you, Deb. You're a pal to both big and small.



No comments :