8.30.2013

In the Trenches, or, By Which One Day I Will Remember Their Girlhood

She's been threatening it for years-- after all, a soft-body skin stretched over shards of plastic head doesn't promise longevity -- and she finally did it.  After multiple surgeries that staved off the inevitable, Laura found a fresh head.  Millie requested her eyes and mouth look as near the original as possible (..."because without her eyes, Laura just won't be Laura!"), and I did the best I could, bringing her from this





to this over the space of a morning. 





My mom gave Laura when Millie turned three, and I think she's all set for the next eight years now.  [Mom O., your old turtleneck sleeves came in handy again.  Guess what we made her head from?  :) ]







When the other girls woke up and saw the surgery in full swing, they eagerly lined up with more of the fallen.

Annie brought Thomas to have his leg sewn back on his body,





and Susannah brought me the doll she's had for as long as she can remember.

Oh, dear.





This one suffered more unfortunate injuries (John Wayne!), which, in my feeble skill, I could not mend, so, instead, I sewed her arm back on and then outfitted her with matching socks and a bandage.  If only I'd studied for a medical degree instead of that B.A.  Who needs liberal arts in the home, anyway?!





3 comments :

Molly said...

A Dolly ER! You did such a grand job getting these baby dolls back in service. I know the girls are pleased. I'd say that BA comes in pretty handy.

Much love!

Rebecca said...

You are a good Mama.

And Laura has a good plastic surgeon. That is SOME facelift!

heidiann(e) said...

Thank GOODNESS that now we know there's a dolly ER just over the hills from here. Do you take walk-ins, or is this by-appointment only?