11.06.2018

B.I.D.: Jack Pumpkinhead




Fully aware of my procrastinating spine, Susannah and I were both concerned that I wouldn't finish her papier-mâché pumpkin head in time. I started it five days early but still found myself painting it on Hallowe'en morning. We had no backup plan, so it's a good thing it all worked out. Susannah is fiercely protective of Jack's head and has it sitting on the piano like a macabre ornament. Who knows when she'll let me move it, if ever.


Before I cut out the features, she asked me to take pictures so she could see how it looked on her head.




When it was done, she was a pretty good mash-up between Jack Pumpkinhead from the books and Jack from the movie, thanks to a borrowed vest from friends and this impressive tutorial for a creepy pumpkin head, which makes our pumpkin head look like a kindergarten project. (I used glue and water instead of flour and skipped some steps for lack of materials or time-- no paper mache paste, for one-- but something tells me even with the paste, ours would never look like that in the tutorial.)







Cost of costume: nothing.
This costume was a lot of fun to make, and that's even better.

 The only drawback to being Jack was that when the neighbors (usually older women with the heat cranked up) continued to chat, Susannah was near fainting from the heat inside that orange head, but even so, she thought it was worth it. A word of warning for future pumpkinheads...






2 comments :

Rebecca said...

Super impressive pumpkinhead, Susie! Pumpkinhead's have a special place in my heart because that is a nickname my children have when they're heads are larger than their bodies. Ineke has *ALMOST* outgrown it...but not quite yet.

I would have been terrified to cut the face after making such a nice head-but it looked great!

I hope you were able to sneak some sweets in that smile while you were trick or treating...

Abigail said...

She took off the head for fresh air every time we got out to the van. Candy-eating, too. :)