11.03.2018

For G-ma and G-pa Owen (with more snapshots to come)






In case you can't tell, we were all Wizard-of-Oz-y. I started the costumes the week before, calculating 5 days of costume-making, which I thought would give us a calm Hallowe'en, but then we ended up being out of town for 2 of those days.

Hot glue guns became my dearest friend; any semblance of reason and order my bitter enemy.

Anyway, I made six full costumes on Hallowe'en, as well as finishing up a couple of others, so you can imagine the halos gleaming. (Actually, I reeked of quiche.)  You know that smug old grandmother who was crowing nonsense last year? Well, she died of a heart attack somewhere around mid-afternoon on Hallowe'en Day, 2018, may she rest in peace.

The children and I were thrilled with how they turned out, though, chaos and shortcuts and all, and tomorrow I'll give due credit to internet geniuses (i.e. I'm a big copycat). We had a fun night once we got out of the house, and were again so grateful to live in the country, where half a dozen stops yield 2/3 a bucket of candy, leaving the second half of the night for leisurely strolls in town, where half a dozen stops yield six pieces of candy (tho' the folks are just as warm and genial, just not quite as chatty, to a passel of misplaced citizens of Oz).

















 




I wish I was joking when I write that when we woke up the next morning the entire house looked like the dining room table and worse. NEXT year, it's low-key costumes and board games all the way...if only I can resuscitate Little Red's smug grandmother.





8 comments :

Rebecca said...

Oh Aidan!!! He, too, is a genuine speciman.

So amazing. Can't wait to see more pictures!!! I think I should have a costume party (POST Halloween and the theme being only COSTUMES YOU WORE ON HALLOWEEN to avoid last years' Abiquiche) every.single.year so I can marvel in person. Those costumes are the best.

Molly said...

Oh my goodness! I am always blown away with each and every Halloween but truly- right out of "Emerald City" this is! I absolutely LOVE it!!! These are fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing. This made my day.

Much love!

Abigail said...

Rebecca,
That should have been a joint concert/costume party! Adele' could have stayed blue, and I could have stayed green. No baths necessary. :)

Molly,
Thank you! I am glad that they served some additional good. I am praying for you and owe you mail of every kind.

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Abigail + fabulous = Abulous!

Abigail said...

One of my college pals calls me Fabigal and combining your term with hers is making me laugh out loud. That may sound as if it smacks of hubris, but there's a jolly pleasure for a logomaniac in repeating "Abulous Fabigal!" five times in a row, even if my children do think I've finally lost my last marble. ;)

Abigail said...

p.s. Plus, it sounds like a Harry Potter spell, though, for the life of me, I'm not sure what the spell's effect would be. Instant costuming? That could come in handy!

Rebecca said...

I couldn't find a separate post for Lucy but she looked marvelous too!

Abigail said...

Oops. Poor Lucinda. Thanks for the heads-up. I published it, but somehow it had ended up back in the drafts folder. Fixed!